Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I wasn't sure if it belonged in this section or not so I apologize in advance it I posted it in the wrong place.

Now on to the good stuff!

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX that I purchased for $700.00 with no motor lol.

I went to the junkyard and sourced a D16Y7 Motor (for $130.00) non Vtec of course and decided this is going to be my starting point.

First off the shell I purchased is not technically a shell but it is lowered 2 inches with dark tented windows, HID conversion kit already installed, and all sound system wires already installed. Also came with full wiring harness.

It has some sweet wheels I am purchasing separately from the car for $600.00.

Its a nice custom green pearl paint job.

Now for the motor my ASE certified mechanic/friend is giving me a D16Y8 for free in the deal and gave me a B16 bare long block. The pistons and rods i believe are shot in the B16 motor I will have to look closer but anyways.

So here is what my plans are. So far for right now since this is my first ever motor swap I am staying stock internals on the Y7 however I am using a Y8 intake manifold on it and a B16 intake throttle body lol.

We are changing all the gaskets and seals which I got for $150.00 that are needed to be replaced and then obviously putting fresh oil and oil filter on.

He is also giving me his $400.00 thermal muffler for free.

At the moment it does not have an exhaust manifold. We almost got out the junkyard with it but stupid worker saw the cat thats built into it and wouldn't let us take it (stupid jerk he was).

But anyway I plan on purchasing a cheap turbo kit from eBay which I know there are always mixed opinions on this but I am living on a broke ballers budget so I am going with what I can afford for now.

I want to eventually make somewhere between 300-400whp when everything is said and done. But for now I just want to have some fun.

Also he is selling me a P29 chipped ecu thats tunable for $75.00 also (buying that later on though) however its for a B16 Vtech motor.

After I purchase the ecu and also get my turbo kit I will start buying engine internals and either prepare for the worst and expect it to blow up from being an old ass motor or internals breaking apart or when I get all the engine internals I will be completing my build once that is done.

Whatever comes first, motor blowing up or I get all the parts I need to complete my build, I will be building this motor one way or another.

I apologize for not having pics tonight I completely forgot to take some. But I will have pics tomorrow with the progress etc...

And I would like to say I am open to suggestions and advice in this, especially given the fact I have never done this before.

I basically want to have a one of a kind car with all different parts that I can call my own lol.

This epic journey is going to be so much fun for me because I have always wanted to do this.

For years I have read thousands of posts and researched and research and researched on all different setups and I am finally embarking on my dream and desires.

I know I sound kind of sensitive about the subject but for me this is something I have always wanted to do and my dreams are finally coming true.

But so far to give a break down this is what I have, forgive the recap.

I have a 99 Honda Civic LX D16Y7 motor from junkyard: $130.00
I have a 2000 D16Y8 Intake Manifold: Free
I have a B16 Throttle Body: Free
I have a 2000 Honda Civic 2 door coup EX: $700.00
I have a full gasket set: $150.00
I have a 5 speed Acura integra manuel transmission (not sure what year): Free
I have a D16Y8 long block:Free
I have a B16 bare long block: Free
I have a clutch I am getting tomorrow: Free
I have CV Axels: Free
I have a stock D16Y7 ECU: Free
I have short ram intake: Free (I need to buy an air filter for it)

And I have free labor from my friend and free labor from myself to put everything together.

So I think I am doing pretty good so far.

So to wrap up my very long post feel free to give suggestions, advice, constructive criticism.

But I do have one request please be kind and don't be negative. Everything else is welcomed.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Do compression tests on all 3 engies and see which one looks best. You only have one transmission? Do you know what shape it is in? Or if it is cable or hydraulic?

Because if the b16 is in good shape and is the only engine you have that has a good matching tranny I would just go that route.... a b16 is a better engine than either of the other 2.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wish that were the situation but its not.

The D16Y7 is the better engine out of all three.

I will be getting pics soon

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Small update. We are installing a stage 2 clutch we got for $65.00 and got a Y8 intake manifold and a Y8 exhaust manifold.

We had to source a dissy and starter from junkyard today. Will be posting pics later on tonight.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can someone give me some insight on how to post pics?

Sorry never done it before.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
:ttiwwop:

just get the link of the picture then post it inbetween these tags
or you can click the little yellow box with the mountain and sun (in the reply box) and just paste the link in there

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I make a link to a picture? They are saved in my email. I took them with my phone.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that worked this time!

Ok there ya go. Those are all the pics I have for now. The car may or may not be finished tomorrow.

But I will try to get more pics if I can.

I need to get a picture of my thermal muffler.

Also Side update

Once the motor is completely in I will be starting on the cheap turbo build.

Also my homeboy has a P28 Chipped ECU he is going to sell me for $75.00.

I am going to convert to OBD1 so I have more tuning options.

I was planning on getting some cheap crappy turbo crap off of eBay for like $500.00

If someone already has a system or can recommend a good seller on eBay please let me know. I plan on buying this in a couple weeks from now.

Also I need some crap to tune with. I haven't decided what exactly which route i'm going with tuning yet. I do need to buy some injectors and a fuel pump to compliment the turbo setup. I will try and see if I can source those parts too.

As always any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are going to attempt to start the car tonight. I will try to take some more pictures and also try to get a video of starting it up.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got the car running tonight.

It still needs a couple clamps, some coolant, a battery, spark plugs, gonna put the a/c in next week.

And the biggest thing I need to do is get the thing Tuned.

At this point I could really use some pointers. I am learning a lot but I need some pro's with experience with all this to kinda point me in the right direction.

I am asking for some help with suggestions

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have an update. We are pulling the Y7 motor out tonight because we found a Y8 motor at the junkyard. I have decided to go with the Y8 motor instead.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car is running terrible. We actually found a Y8 motor at the junkyard. So were ganna snatch the Y7 motor back out and put the Y8 in there. its ganna cost me a few more dollars but I will be happier because i will have a way better motor

·
Registered
339 Posts
Instead of buying a eBay turbo kit you should be patient and find some used quality parts. Some good deals pop up on here.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ Agreed, take your time rebuilding it and making it reliable, then worry about FI.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
^ Agreed, take your time rebuilding it and making it reliable, then worry about FI.
yeah. be patient, youll find deals on QUALITY parts. been gathering parts for 3 yrs now. found a nice .42/.48 garrett turbo, nice cast mani, arp head bolts, hella good deal on rods and forged pistons. then I saved some money and had a quality machinist do my block.

take. your. time.

do it right the first time. cheap in the beginning means its more expensive in the long run.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback.

I will post some pics later today of the Y8 motor. We were able to get one that had the single out dual out tubular headers for the Y8. So beautiful!

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just dropped a 2000 Honda Civic EX D16Y8 into my engine bay.

The car I have already has all ecu I need and the wiring harness.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but not sure why I would need to do that.

Please elaborate

1 - 20 of 27 Posts