Honda D Series Forum banner

My d15z6..few questions

6K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  d16z6_ej1 
#1 ·
My d15z6 ek3 now is "eating" oil so im planning to change piston rings, valve seals and maybe i should try to find d16z6 head, put it on - is it a "bolt-on" and what gains?
Stock i/e mani, thinking about buying exhaust header 4-2-1 from ebay, but some sellers there say, that they wont fit 96-00civics with cat in front of car, only under it..
And intake mani - also from d16z6 as i could find out browsing and reading through here..?

My budget is low, but im trying hard to get it more powerful ^_^

THanks for every1 who could give me some advice :yes:

#2 ·
you could put the z6 head on but it will actually lower you compression, so you will have to shave the head surface a bit to raise it.

Look here for some good info:

One more time D15z6 - D-series.org

Ninja edit!!: You said ek3? Then you will have to use the Y8 head and ecu.

#3 ·
been reading that topic like 10 times, cant understand, what is better y8 or z6, some lithuanians as i read, put on z6 head, lowered it and got around 130hp out of it or more with i/e mani`s..
ghm, ecu from y8 - its obd1, my ek3 = obd2, so i need some wiring conversion >_< hard to find and make it work again :(

#5 ·
in your case the y8 head is the better option. Its basically a plug and play with minimal effort. You could also convert your exhaust to a Ex/Si from your local junkyard.

#6 ·
okay, first of all big thanks for answering, and its nice to hear that y8 is obd2 so i could just do my best - wrench+screwdriver - love that, but hate messing with wires -_-
one problem in latvia - here aint much junkyards where i could find something from hondas, mostly old audi`s and vw`s, so probably a lame question - in which civics i could find d16Y8 engines? :>

#8 ·
Should i use help from wiki doing my search for y8 head? :) This is what it gave me:

D16Y8
VTEC

Also available in New Zealand under the code D16Y6

Found in
1999-2000 Honda Civic SE 1.6 Vtec (UK)
1997-1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan
1996-1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
1996-2000 Honda Civic EX (US)
1996-2000 Honda Civic SI (Canada Only)
1997-2000 Acura 1.6EL (Canada Only)
1996-1997 Honda del Sol Si
1997-2000 Rover 416 Auto
Displacement : 1590cc
Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 90 mm (3.0 in × 3.5 in)
Rod Length : 137 MM
Rod/Stroke : 1.52
Compression : 9.6:1
Valvetrain : SOHC 4 valves per cylinder
Power : 127 hp (94.7 kW, 229 ps) @ rpm
Torque : 111 ft·lbf (45.79 kg/m, 145.1 Nm) @ rp
Head Code : P2J
Piston Code : P2P
Redline 6900 rpm
ECU Code : P2P

#9 ·
maybe if i find that d16y8 engine i should better swap the whole engine, not only head? as its obd2 then i could just change ecu`s, get the engine in, gbox and axles should fit from my d15..
As my d15z6 block is asking to change oil rings, then maybe for + - same price i could try to get the whole swap and throw it it.. Set of all rings,sealings and so on costs around 100eur+ and it could be much easier to swap a whole motor in..

#10 ·
Yeah, if you're going to have to rebuild the bottom end anyway and come across a complete swap, that's be the way to go. The gearing of the trans is better and the engine itself is more powerful. On a side note, an abundance of audi's and VW's in the junkyards could make sourcing out parts for a junkyard turbo kit a snap.

#11 ·
yer your right, i bought a 4-2-1 mani, de-cat and cat back from ebay. all very nice polished steel, tidy welding, good price however when i came to fit it, there was a 3" gap between the mid section and the de-cat :-/ my civic is a 99 with the cat in the manifold but was still short even with a decat pipe

#14 ·
okay, now i have a chance to get d16w4 engine, pretty much the same as y8, came in 99-00 civics, for ~ 150eur but unfortunately no ecu, so im planning to get obd2-obd1 conversion harness and obd1 ecu.
As i read, p28 or p30 are the best for this bcoz they are both easy to get programmable and already are with vtec, but today i found some post who said that i can also get "p06 ecu from d15b2 civic non vtec and convert it to p28 - how`s that is going to be done?
Can i get p06 ecu and just write some p28 basemap with vtec in and it will work like i need?

#16 ·
u can use the z6 head also it will plug and play and have to do is put your fuel rail and injectos and the z6 will be obd2, or get a y8 head and u just plug in everything

dont want to start a z6 vs y8 but what i know is that the z6 head better flow, while the y8 have the smallest combustion chamber for increased compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.