Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first swap/build for a car. so im learning as i go. To make this short and simple as possible ill just skip most the details.. I bought a JDM d15b vtec from an importer. Some of you probably know that because ive been posting a few threads about info and help with it lately. I spent most of the weekend taking it apart. Here what it looked like under the valve cover..

Im not an engine expert but i know that does look kinda bad.. very gunked up. what do you guys think? clean it up the best i can, and once its back into my car use Motor flush and see what it can do? I donno. I mean the the compression is awesome on this engine. i haven't actually done a compression test. but spinning the crank and feeling it compared to my stock dx engine with 196k miles on it, there is a big difference. but i wasnt expecting it to look this dirty...

After taking the oil pan off..

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,177 Posts
you bought this from an importer? that looks like its got a lot of miles on it. i would flush the motor and do a compression test on it to see where your motor is at.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, Tiger Auto to be exact.

which claims 35-50k miles on their engines. "claims"

can i do a compression test while its on the stand? wouldn't it need to be turned over a few times quickly for it to be accurate?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It has had enough oil, just crappy oil or not changed as frequently as it should have been. Compression tests are easier with a starter in place. You can do the test if you have a spare tranny and starter and battery. :p

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what do you guys think i should do. clean it up the best i can and once the engine is back in the car do an engine flush? From what i heard, engine flushes work really good at getting all this gunk out.

·
Registered
94 civic dx sedan
93 Posts
Now when I got my 15b from HMotorsonline . the valves looked brand new I swaped in a new tbelt and water pump and been running it hard since. Im going to tag along and see what is up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now when I got my 15b from HMotorsonline . the valves looked brand new I swaped in a new tbelt and water pump and been running it hard since. Im going to tag along and see what is up.
ya, i wish that was the case for me. Unfortunately I got the one in a few dirty engines from an importer. oh well. leason learned. DONT buy from Tiger auto in the future.

anyway. my new question is. If i bring this to a machine shop and get it hot tanked. I know it would clean it all up better, but how much better? Will it still have the burning orange color to it? Can I bring in the whole head or do I need to disassemble anything. same for the block. What would I need to remove before I bring it to be hot tanked.

I havent done this before, its my first major project on an engine, so im learning as i go. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
take that in and get it cleaned. i wouldnt wanto to bother with all the cleaning, i had a b16 head liek that, took it in and wow way better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It should clean up pretty good with a hot tank. But I'm gonna say your going to have to dissasemble it before you do it. My block was pretty gunked up inside and out and came back looking as close to new as its gonna get!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It should clean up pretty good with a hot tank. But I'm gonna say your going to have to dissasemble it before you do it. My block was pretty gunked up inside and out and came back looking as close to new as its gonna get!

well when you say disassemble it.. I would imagine just taking the head off and bringing that in would be fine right?

and the block.. just take pistons/rods and bearings out. then bring the block in?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well i called a couple places up. its aabout $75 to get it hot tanked..

but ive been thinking. im the kinda guy that takes things apart and ends up fixing EVERYTHING i can think of. yes, that is a good thing, but its also a pain. I originally bought this crx dx and just planned on getting it switched to mpfi. before i knew it i had the engine out. What im trying to say is, If i take this engine completely apart to get hot tanked, Ill find something else ill want to get fixed, then find another thing, and another. Ill never get this thing running in time for summer. I know its probably the right thing to do. but right now. I just wanna focus on getting the engine drivable for summer. then next winter ill focus on a complete rebuild and possibly boost. I dont wanna make it seem like im taking the easy way out, but i just dont have the time or money right now to do a rebuild. I think what im going to do is. clean the head and block as much as i can myself, get new gaskets, get this thing back together, then do a Motor flush. I haven't found an article on someone doing a motor flush so ill do a review myself on it. get lots of before and after pics and see how well it really works. then go from there.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
well if your rebuilding see how much to get the shop to rebuild it, take the whole motor to them with your rebuild kit and let them do it all

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
If you plan to get it hot tanked, you will need to disassemble it, COMPLETELY. If you plan to do that, like others have stated you might as well do a complete rebuild.

I would do a compression test and if it checks out okay Id just run it as is, use a quality full synthetic and change the oil often for the 1st few months. Like Acid Beaver stated, it looks like that because of crap oil or infrequent oil changes, possibly both.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright guys. I took the tranny off my stock engine, slapped it on this engine, hooked up the battery to the starter and did a compression test.

all 4 cylinders were between 185-190.
I donno if there are certain ways to do a compress test or not.. i had no oil pan on, no intake and no exhaust header. all the plugs were out while doing this. I know there might be some factors that effect it. maybe? haa i donno. but those were my results.

what do you guys think? that good or bad?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright guys, got a lil update,

cleaned up the head as best as i could. I spent about 2 hours cleaning it. it actually turned out very good. but i didnt take any pics... grrrrr. same with the oil pan. cleaned it all up completely. but i did get some pics..

Painted my valve cover.
i dont have a before pic, but just picture a very nasty looking valve cover with chipped paint spots all over and crap looking.

now this..

Engine sittin on engine stand.

Wiring before...

Wiring after...

chillin, waiting for mounts, and header, then put into my car :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts