Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again.since i lately got my own digicam i decided to take pics & show what i've done to my spare Y8 head for my future D-build.
Did everything using crude methods as always lol.

D16Y8, 11.3:1 cr, crower2 cam,AEM camgear, PM6 pistons, crome tune (thanks to Chris Harris), prayers.

COMBUSTION CHAMBERS:

INTAKE PORTS:

EXHAUST PORTS:

(LOL it's just that my 4 yr old daughter keeps on saying "trumpet" whenever she sees those exhaust ports on my pc screen.)

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
not even a dremel (i cant buy/borrow one). just a bosch variable speed electric drill, pieces of cut engine hoses for adaptors, variable grit professional quality sandpapers, mediplast skin-tissue tape to hold the entire spinning assy in place and some lapping compound to polish the exhaust port (i guess some serious washing would be in order right? lol!)

·
Registered
269 Posts
not even a dremel (i cant buy/borrow one). just a bosch variable speed electric drill, pieces of cut engine hoses for adaptors, variable grit professional quality sandpapers, mediplast skin-tissue tape to hold the crudeness in place and some grinding compound to polish the exhaust port (i guess some serious washing would be in order right? lol!)
I need pics!!! =) I gotta see this thing!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need pics!!! =) I gotta see this thing!!
Haha! Ok!Ok! but not as of the moment coz im in the ofc. When i get back home i'll dress up my drill again so i can take a pic.
Btw, this head has been finished long ago already and its just been sitting in my room until i decided to finally show love for my D.
so i'll look for my leftover sandpapers.

It wont look too enticing to use though. THAT i can promise. LOL!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now i fugured it out.. using that drill setup couldnt make me reach that area you were saying near the guides that still had the casting marks.
I think i would need a dremel with an extension to reach that place for sure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Damn it looks really good:TU:. How did you get it to shine like that:shocked:. I have done this one time to a z6 head and no matter how hard I tryed I could not get it to shine like that.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
did you take out the valve guides before you did the work?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
back from long sleep:
Thanks very much bros! to polish the exhaust ports, i rolled a strip of rag cloth on the edge of my drill setup and made it into a "buffing ball". Then i applied lapping compound on the ball and some on the target areas as well, then spun away. Once in a while, i would switch to do this manually by using my fingers wrapped in cloth instead of the drill.

to Remoer, i didnt take out the valve guides. didnt know how to. now that you mentioned im wondering, how will i clean that area??

to hellhatch & bunger, ill still try to show pics of the drill set up. But anyway, the way it looks: imagine using a thick drill bit, i inserted the bit in a piece of hose the length of the bit. then i got a thicker hose, cut it arnd 2 inches in length, then inserted this on top of the 1st hose (placed it right at the front end). This would make the drill look like it had a hose as a bit and this hose had another shorter but thicker hose that acted as its head. Then i wrapped a piece of heavy grit sandpaper around the head. By the way, (i just found the leftover now,) its a 60-grit/coarse 1/4 sheet STICK-ON sandpaper made by Do-it-Best. it says "resin coated, aluminum oxide" color brick red.
The adhesive at the back of this sandpaper allowed it to wrap tightly around the rubber hose head.
Then to hold it in place when the whole thing would spin fast, i used mediplast skin-tissue tape just right at the fore and aft edges of the head and also at the point where the wrapped sandpaper edges would meet each other. Once in a while it would come off and i had to redo the tape but i didnt mind coz i was having fun doing the whole thing.
Sorry for the crappy description. but once i get a pic, THEN you guys can have a laugh looking at it. LOL! i guess it's a big "Wut DUUUHHH???" for now right? :)
Cheers!

·
Registered
259 Posts
genius...im soo jealous of your exhaust ports....I was always curious onto how people can get tools so deep into the ports and accurately do the ultimate job, so what your saying is that it was just a drill with the bit/hose/more hose/sand paper concoction?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Love that work bro! Time spent roughly?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts