Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am too much of a noob to figure out what is going on... Maybe my tires or is it the axle?

When I am accelerating from 20mph to 25mph my car revs, feels like it has no traction on the driver side, doesn't accelerate above 22 or so mph, and then jumps a little to normal acceleration and after that drives fine. I can definitely feel something not quite catching or reving with no traction on the left side of the car (driver's side), I have no idea what it is though. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is it a manual or automatic transmission? What gear are we talking about?

I'm assuming for normal driving this happens in 2nd gear, stomping it would be 1st gear.

i.e. is it happening when you are flooring the gas or just normal driving? I'm no expert, just trying to get more info to help diagnose.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an automatic transmission, gear would Drive4, or D4, normal driving. It happens when I am just normally driving on the street, I actually don't race or anything currently. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I pulled the fluid level checker, the one with the yellow pull handle on the transmission. It was wet up to the top of the Xs on it, the oil looked the usual biege like clear oil color. When I looked down I could see the oil, but it didn't come up anywhere neat the top of the hole. Man... I am a noob.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Okay I pulled the fluid level checker, the one with the yellow pull handle on the transmission. It was wet up to the top of the Xs on it, the oil looked the usual biege like clear oil color. When I looked down I could see the oil, but it didn't come up anywhere neat the top of the hole. Man... I am a noob.
yellow pull handle AKA dipstick

check this site out it has pics on how to and instructions

http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/simple.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man, you're awesome.

I let her idel for a few, pulled the dipstick out, cleaned, and put it back in. I also took the opportunity to check the axle boots, they were both dry and clean looking anyway.

When I pulled out the dipstick the oil level barely reached the bottom of the cold marks, Xs, on it. So yeah it needs oil. I'll go get some tomorrow. Would this alone cause it to slip...? I just hope there is no actual damage by tomorrow morning when I can get some oil... maybe I will just go to my shop and have them change it while I am at it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea i wouldnt drive too long on it get fluid in der asap and it would cause it to slip maybe they can flush it for ya 2
NO NO NO Dont flush it, flushing a high millage trans is bad. I had this done on my girlfriend accord cause it was slipping and after the flush the car wouldnt move for like a hour it would just sit there and slip. But after the fluid reached every thing it needed to it move but from 1st to 2nd the slip got alot worse just my own 2cents
And the fluid is not suspose to be the same color as oil its suspose to be red. My advice to you is just simply change it, filling it back up with honda ATF i belive it hold about 2 1/2 quarts

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Mine also has an acceleration problem, I cant get it to faster than a 14.6 in the 1/4...lol.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
what year accord they had recalls on alot of acord tranies 2 i have always flushed my at tranies and have never had a problem even on higher miles

·
Registered
639 Posts
You are supposed to check the tranny oil while the vehicle is off and cold!
and buy 3 liters of honda ATF.. It'll should take 2 and a bit! And if it slips worse time for a 5 speed swap!

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts
You are supposed to check the tranny oil while the vehicle is off and cold!
You check automatics when they're RUNNING and WARM.

Also, Kurokojin don't put motor oil in the transmission.. be sure to use automatic transmission fluid. I know it's rather obvious, but you said you were a noob, so I'm just warning you.

-Des!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all.. I am just going to swing by my shop of choice on my way into work and have them look at/flush/change the tranny fluid.

I hope this fixes her.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OKay I stopped by Moss Alley Motors but they can't see her till tomorrow. So on the way home I grabbed some Chevron III transmission fluid and topped her off till then. It's working better but still some vibration when accelerating. Is it true that the stuff has to seep in everywhere in the trfanny over a few hours? Someone mentioned that. But it is definitely better than before anyhow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts