Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys so i went for my first start and starter is not clicking but i can not hear my fuel pump either can it be a bad ground somewhere sounds like an electrical problem to me. Check out the latest video with the problem

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,191 Posts
main relay.
thermostat ground.
battery cables.

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the main relay looks good. Thermostat ground is good. I just bought some new bolts for the battery post so it can be tighter. I got the starter checked and its also good. Im more leaning towards neutral switch by the clutch pedal or ignition switch now. Its weird how i could not hear the fuel pump either.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,081 Posts
fuckin' 20 minute video...

is your cel coming on and pump prime, koeo ? doesn't look like it..

when was the last it ran..what did you do in between>?

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran a year ago before I pulled the engine out. I have to check engine light at all coming on when I crank the key

·
4,191 Posts
dead ecu

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,081 Posts
no cel comes on so no fp prime..
is there any main relay click?
go over the Fuses..
anti-theft or alarms ?
any custom/clever wiring ...
should still crank even if the ecu is dead..unless the problem killed it..

squarish plug on driverside shock tower plugged in,?
did you mix up alternator and starter/battery wires screwed into the fuse box?not really possible but why not eh..

inspect your harness ,

check grounds for continuity with a multimeter ,

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I tried some stuff today and its clearly an electrical problem/ground problem somewhere its driving me nuts any ideas?

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,081 Posts
the last time I had a similar "intermittent" problem like this, it ended up being the contacts in the ignition switch .

with a dvom check the ignition switch with the key on when the pump doesn't prime ..

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,081 Posts
also when priming your oil pump and lines unplug the dizzy plug not the plug wires...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try checking the clutch interlock again then check fuse 31 under dash.
It may be when it rains it pours type of situation where your pump took a crap on you along with a fuse or two blowing

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so here's the update I checked my wire harness followed the wires and I found the wire that go to the thermostat broken. 3 of them (the ground wire) so i spliced them together really quick to see if that was the problem. Nothing so I decided to run an extra random wire from them to my ground wire on the battery that made my fuel pump kick on and I got power everywhere. I turned the key to start the car and the random wire melted when the engine cranked over. So im thinking its a grounding problem somewhere. I checked my grounds and they look good. So then since that random wire melted I took it off and I left the key in the ignition on. I started moving wires around (shaking them on the wire harness) and nothing. I got my feed line for my turbo and accidentally touched the frame of the car and it sparked it was making ground and i could hear fuel pump kick on and everything got power again.Weird I belive its a ground problem like I said. Any Ideas?

·
4,191 Posts
replace the thermostat ground wires and clean the contact point.
upgrade your battery ground, engine ground, transmission ground and clean their contact points as well

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
53 Posts
The main ground cable to the transmission is broken or missing. There should be a cable (8-gauge or thicker) that runs from the negative terminal down to the frame rail and continues on to the transmission. The engine and transmission are floating on rubber mounts, so it needs a dedicated heavy wire to connect it to body ground. Without it, nothing that grounds to the engine or transmission will get battery power, including the ECU, starter and alternator. The starter and alternator both pull/push a lot of current, which is why it needs to be a heavy gauge wire and why your skinny jumper wire fried when you tried to crank the engine.

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks this is very helpful im gonna get some new ground wires and clean the contact surface really good.

·
Registered
2000 honda civic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update so I replaced all ground wires and sanded a bit of paint off now I have full power. Everything turns on. I primed the car a few times about 8 but no oil pressure out of my turbo feed line. It is 30 degrees outside im gonna wait a half hour and try again. I want to make sure I have oil before i try to start the car. Any ideas why I have no oil coming out? I Did dump lucas asembly lube and lucas break in oil Thats super thick like hunny mixed it with 5w30. Thank you all the the previous help you got me a step closer to my first start up.

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
53 Posts
Did you pre-fill the oil filter? If not, take it off and see if there's oil in it now - Dry filter -> wet means the pump is primed. Either way, fill it up about half way or further if you think you can get it on the engine without making a mess. Once it's back on the engine, let it sit for an hour or so - some of the oil should drain back to the pump and lubricate it enough to assure flow. You could get the same effect by adding oil to the outer ring of the filter mount, but you would need a skinny tube and funnel to get in there - annoying at best.
Assembly lube is for oil bearing surfaces (crankshaft, rods, camshaft) when you're actually putting the engine together - don't put it in the oil. Its just there for the first seconds of startup before the air gets pushed out of the oil system, then gets flushed out. It's not meant to be an oil additive - there might be an ounce of it in the oil for the first 20 minutes of run time, then 90% of it gets drained with the first oil change.
No idea what break-in oil is for - might be a 2-stroke engine thing? Just use conventional oil - 5w30 is best this time of year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts