1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's my braking setup

00 SI rears
00 Integra fronts
7/8 master cylinder

DX brake booster
DX prop valve

I installed the new MC without bench bleeding and the car would brake but the pedal is very hard and doesn't produce much braking power. You really have to mash the pedal to get it to stop. I don't think I could lock up the tires if I wanted to...

So, last night I removed the MC and bench bled it and reinstalled. Before I bleed the rest of the system do I absolutely need to upgrade the booster and prop valve to SI or Integra components?

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
whut aboot teh brake padz?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whut aboot teh brake padz?
they are oem pads but thats not the problem...

I'm more concerned with the booster and prop valve and whether or not they need to be upgraded.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
prop valve for the 99-00 civics were all the same. the MC has the 40/40 split in it.

did you bleed the system again after you did the bench bleed of the MC?
I'm hoping the shitty braking power was due to air in the MC. I have bench bled that now but before bleeding the rest of they system I wanted to ask about the brake booster and prop valve.

So you're saying the booster and valve are the same? No need to change?

That would be awesome...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since you got the new MC, and assuming all is installed properly. I would do a full system bleed. There is a couple of ways to do this, the standard pump and release bleeder, or i prefer taking a hose from the bleeder and putting it into a cup with the end of the hose submerged in brake fluid (so it doesnt suck in any air) and just slowly pump the pedal with the bleeder open. Then switch to the next caliper. I found this to be the easiest was to bleed stuborn lines.

It also sounds like you might have a bad line. Sometimes the lines fray on the inside and act almost like a one way valve, i have seen this in motorcycles. So you might want to look into SS lines for a nice upgrade.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you got the new MC, and assuming all is installed properly. I would do a full system bleed. There is a couple of ways to do this, the standard pump and release bleeder, or i prefer taking a hose from the bleeder and putting it into a cup with the end of the hose submerged in brake fluid (so it doesnt suck in any air) and just slowly pump the pedal with the bleeder open. Then switch to the next caliper. I found this to be the easiest was to bleed stuborn lines.

It also sounds like you might have a bad line. Sometimes the lines fray on the inside and act almost like a one way valve, i have seen this in motorcycles. So you might want to look into SS lines for a nice upgrade.

Good luck.
stainless lines all around, and yes thats the way I bleed them...

really more concerned with the size of the master cylinder, prop valve and booster...

someone tell me if this setup (once bled) will work or not?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
just looked it up. the 99-00 si/ex/dx/etc all have a 9 inch brake booster.

like i said the prop valves are the same, look it up if you want. but i have swapped that part out not knowing if they were different or not.

what did you get the MC from?

·
Registered
Civic, crv, titan
1,505 Posts
a 7/8 m/c is fine for the integra front brakes.........

why? because I have B series front brakes on mine and it stops fine.......

Since you have the rear disc you may need to upgrade the m/c .......I dont have rear disc so I cant confirm this, I can confirm that integras and civics (99 si) use a 1" m/c.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
a 7/8 m/c is fine for the integra front brakes.........

why? because I have B series front brakes on mine and it stops fine.......

Since you have the rear disc you may need to upgrade the m/c .......I dont have rear disc so I cant confirm this, I can confirm that integras and civics (99 si) use a 1" m/c.
well as long as there is a 40/40 split, he should be good. the 1" will provide more braking power, but will it be too much is the key. threshold braking will be harder if there is too much braking power.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just looked it up. the 99-00 si/ex/dx/etc all have a 9 inch brake booster.

like i said the prop valves are the same, look it up if you want. but i have swapped that part out not knowing if they were different or not.

what did you get the MC from?
awesome, thanks for all the advice folks... the MC is from a civic 4 door ex

so it sounds like this setup may work. I'll bleed the system this week and let you all know how it feels...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts