Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so over the last couple of days ive been stalking the forums and raping the search button to my hearts content.

so far im interested in building myself a good motor. and putting it in a light chassis such as a crx or a 88-91 hatchback (budget chassis)

now this is where i can make myself look very stupid so please keep in mind that im a complete noob.
total noobism.

im looking at building something like...

Head:y8 vtacks!. (havent decided on a cam) aftermarket intake mani with a B series TB

block:d15b and im trying to figure out if d17 internals fit. (machining is not an issue should it come to that)

should these pieces fit together i want to attempt to squeeze 160-170 (if im lucky) hp out of them. NA

i just want feedback... hate it if you want. but id much rather your advice.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think he was just joking around... that is a common joke

vtaks, mad tyte vtec yo, v-tech, bbbbwwwwwwwwaaahhh

it's all the same ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. well im deffinantly not going to rock a turbo tomorrow so im trying to be reasonable. im sure if i decide to walk the FI path again i might toy with a JRSC instead. just done with turbo.

yes the vtacks comment was just something i picked up over reading and thought it was cute.

thank you guys for your help clarifying if the bottom end was the right choice or not which i suppose its not! so back to the magic search button ^_^.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
i have never seen a noob search so much... i like em

me too, i dont mind answering questions. and be honest guys how many times have you done a search and come up empty handed? he's doing his research and posting his questions to be answered.
no harm done.

the y8 head is a good selection. some don't care for it because u can only use one type of dizzy with it. but if your using obd2 then your good to go.

i'm a firm believer of, there's no replacement for displacement.(except BOOST! lol) so bore and stroking is a great way of increasing power output.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
use a D16 bottom end. the D17 crank will swap no problem.

if you want displacement, bore is the way to go... but if you cant afford sleeves, stroke will have to do.

do you really want to stay NA? just dont expect too much i guess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well now that i know the d15b just wont work maybe

d16a6
d16y8

or maybe just maybe. a d16y7 kind of a mini me thought.

looking at engine specs i like the y7's Stock CR and should it be able to be mated to a z6 head i think il be in the ball park of what im looking for.

deffinantly wont be using a z6 cam though. i want something agressive. should i have to go aftermarket so be it.

and yes its sad that im not going turbo boo hoo. like i said. im done with forced induction. im coming straight out of the dsm world dudes and dudettes.

i really dont expect much from my d motor.. i want it to be really strong and reliable more than i want it to be over the top powerfull. id like to get its hp in the range of a gsr if possible. or atleast a good match against an LS. but the car isnt going to the track and its not going to cost me a lot. plain and simple.

btw... project travis buys a honda will commence as soon as someone buys my srt4 1st gen neon.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You figure a mini - me yielding good numbers. Do a d15b2/b7b7 with y8 head. Pistons are flat and motor has an awesome rod/stroke ratio. Compression will be low 12's and a cam will make it all the merrier. Just sayin. I like torque also. But for a little ripper. Head swap = compression Is a big winner in my book.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts