Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I got my hands on 5 quarts of AMSOILS 100% synthetic 5w 30. I mean I was so excited I had the oil already drained before the UPS truck came.

My car has close to 200k miles, so i want to get the most out of it as I can. I took off the POS Fram TG filter and didnt pay attention to that little rubber seal on there. So I put the new K&N filter on (i'll never use another fram after reading reviews) and that seal from the fram stuck on the block and I didnt pay any attention to that. I put the new K&N on and then installed my new magnetic drain plug. I poured precisely 3.5 qts of amsoil into my car, I started it and my low oil light was on. I immediately shut off the car and looked under the car and there laid 2 quarts or more of amsoil on the ground. That expensive and it was just laying on the ground ruined. So I took off the filter to inspect it and I noticed that seal. I took that seal off and reinstalled the K&N and now things are all well. BUT I have a question, I didnt have enough amsoil left to fill it. Well it was inbetween the low and full dots on the dipstick. I used castrol syntec to get it to the top, not even 1/4 of a quart of syntec. Do you guys think it hurt the amsoil mixing that little bit of castrol? I'm ordering another quart for when it uses a little (thats why I got 5 quarts in the first place was because it has a small leak). So do you think it will be okay? I'm going to change it at 7500 miles.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
you would have been fine being 1/4 low no need to add teh castrol, you could have driven like that long enough to get another quart.

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean you all may not believe me, but I can honestly feel the difference. It's so much smoother now, even at idol. I mean the syntec was what was in it before so there is no way it could all be out anyway right? So a little extra wouldnt hurt. the next oil change though i'm sure by then the amsoil will have done flushed out all the syntec.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
amsoil is one of the best it will feel better, royal purple is the same way.

·
Registered
My civic
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amsoil is one of the best it will feel better, royal purple is the same way.
Indeed. It feels ALOT better, even idols a little higher. I'll never buy another fram, ever.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
dude, ill never use fram because of the seals sticking to the block. its a common problem with them.

lucking i had my eye on my oil pressure gauge and shut my car down within 10 seconds.

never, ever, again.

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
How is this a horror story...

A horror story would be working at Goodyear and having all your co-workers call in sick so your stuck at the shop alone on a busy day and you have 4 cars up at one time and you forget to reinstall one little oil drain plug and back the car out the shop with the customer standing there...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,249 Posts
seals only stick to the block if you fail to install the filter correctly.

I've NEVER had a seal stick.

But dad did, pumped 5 quarts out of the Buick real quick. I was maybe 6-7 and all I could do was point. Dad wisely shut the motor off to look. That was when I became a gofer :)

"Get me the dish soap and a beer!"

I'm still one to watch over motors when being first started or helping Blundar on the dyno.

PS, 13 years today my father passed away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts