Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine bought this 1990 CRX Dx and drove it for 65K miles. He rarely did any routine maintainance and the car eventually pooped out on him. He parked it under his deck (second story deck for the apartment above his garage) and never touched it again.

The other day we were drinking a few beers nad I asked him if he ever planned to do anything with it and what he wanted for it.

He said he wanted 700 for it, but I talked him down a bit. ;)
I ended up paying $400

Ok, enouh teasing, here she is after we tried to pop start her and left her sitting for a week in a snow storm.

Cruddy old engine bay. (Eventually going to clean this up)

ViS CF ZC USDM hood

Mint 89 Si seats I sold him a while back

Perfect climate control

Here's a shot of her once i got her in the garage.

I've had her in the garage for about a week now, and I've bought:
Battery
Exedy OEM Clutch Kit
eBay Ceramic Header
eBay high flow cat
Dist Cap + rotor
NGK plugs and wire set

It still needs an alternator, clutch replacement, axle back exhaust, passenger fender, some misc interior things, and a few other misc things I've been adding to the list as the time goes on.

He gave me the original Torino Red/Gold 90 bumper, the only reason he took it off was the white one is a 88-89 with the Si lip. He doesn't like the cut outs in the 90-91 bumper, and wanted an Si lip. So I jsut bolted it back on and called it a day. I will proibably get a passwordJDM CF SiR lip eventually, but for now I got a bunch of other things I need to put into it before it will pass inspection.

Oh he wanted the 16x7 Konig Tuners back after I got hte car unthawed, and he gave me the OEM 13s he had. Which is fine cuz I prefer the lighter 13s over the heavy 16s, especially on a Dx. lol. Here's a pic showing the 13s and also the rust hole in the passenger fender.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear quarters got more putty in them than a playdoh factory, but the plan was to have a low fuel consumption daily driver.

I had a rust free CRX (89 Si) for 4 years and put 1400 miles on it. I've done the mint garage queen before, and plan to enjoy this one (my 3rd CRX) as much as I enjoyed my first rust bucket. I drove the axles off it and it loved it.

I hopw to get a new passenger fender and maybe soemone's generic axle back on the cheap so I can pass inspection and start enjoying her.

Here's my first CRX, and a link to some restore pics.
Before:

During:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/mithuth/CRX/88Dx/

After:

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
good buy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the posative words.

The plan is to do all the routine maintainance that hasn't been done in ages, and then add a few creature comforts like cup holders, an arm rest, and a radio. lol.

Tyson on the CRXcommunity and H-T has a really nice setup for cupholders that impliments 94-01 Integra cupholders mounted in place of the CRX ashtray and lighter. I plan to mimic that and relocate my lighter outlet into the armrest so I can still charge my mp3 player and cellphone.

For an armrest, I'll watch for a 96-00 Civic center console with armrest and dremel the front half to match up to the CRX shifter cover. Then fab up a mount for the cigarette lighter outlet for my various chargers.

For a radio, I think the plan is to get an OEM AM/FM/Tape or Integra CD unit and get some 3-way 5 1/4" coaxials in the doors and some mid bass 6.5" in the back with baffles. I have an old school "pillbug" style RF Punch 100ix2 and a 12" Poineer IMPP sup in a conservative sized box I may use, but I'm undecided. I'd kind of like to keep it simple.

I am going to have NAPA mix me a few spray cans of Torino Red so I can color match the lower half. I don't care for the gold two tone. Also, I want to upgrade to 15" wheels and some all season tires. I'm thinking another set of bronze Rota Grids and maybe some dunlop all seasons.

I've got so much routine maintainance to do though, all the above mentioned stuff can sit for a while. I probably wont have the cash to get this bugger on the road till the end of April. Which I guess is ok, I can keep it out of th esnow for a while. lol.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Nice buy for the money :TU:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Radio problem solved:

I was at Walmart tonight and picked up this boxed deal.

Sony Xplod headunit, all black like I wanted and had the mp3 player jack too. BONUS! with a set of 6.5" 2-way Sony Xplod Speakers and a set of 6x9 2-way Sony Xplod Speakers

Oh yeah, and I got a new hat. I love free hats! hehe.

Total cost was $95

Who said they'd never make a 2006 CRX? (gotta love smartass car dealer friends)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's hard to believe i havent even done the tax, title, plates, registration, insurance, etc... yet. LOL.

I'll get to it next week. I have a bill of sale and a signed title here, so I'm in no hurry.

I put on the bumper and corner lights he had with it. I'm not a huge fan, but until I can get my hands on some OEM 90-91 USDM bumper and corner lights, I'll make due. Here's a pic: (pay no attention to the Si lip waiting to go on. hehe)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back form the dead. :hammer:

I took her out to a garage day over the weekend. I arrived a bit late and never got her intothe garage to do any work on her, but I learned SOOOoooo much about pulling and rebuilding a SOHC D. Also, I got to ride in a guy's z6/y8 mini-me'd rex and absolutely LOVED the high compression NA'd D-series. I've definately got an itch that needs scratched now.

I've been haggling back and forth with a friend that's been talking off and on about selling me his DOHC ZC, but after riding in the mini-me, I think that's the route I'm going to take. Not to mention I'm about sick of the wheeling and dealing ofr the DOHC ZC.

I've put a huge effort into maintainance too. Over the last month, I've picked up new OEM brakes, an Exedy clutch kit, eBay header, high flow cat, gas tank, a shift rod, ES shifter bushing kit, and short throw shifter. I just got to get off my arse and install it all. LOL. I've got a list a mile long of other things I want to get/do to it, but that's it for now. My wallet needs a break.

I had a little help while we had the warm streak last week and my 2yo son helped me polish the turd. And since we're all pic whores at heart, here's a few shots:

Oh, and for giggles, I did a NOS install...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Engine bay looks kinda crusty but other than that, it's a steal :TU:
I was going to put some effort into cleaning it up, but I think while the motor's out I'll do a wire tuck and some spit shining. The plan is to yank the motor and scrub the bay with a brush and simple green, do a wire tuck, then probably paint it flat or gloss black before installing the new motor. That way I don't have to color match the engine bay when I get around to body work and repainting the car Blade Silver or Vogue Silver.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.