Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 92 hatch.. d15b7, currently have a Z6 intake, y7 cam gear,(did have a A6 cam but now its a delta regrind going in my all motor b7 i am building)... and have I/H/E. chipped ecu with a tune..runs great...

but a friend of mine is selling his turbo D stuff to me for basically free and i was thinking of just throwing it on in the mean time while i am doing my high compression all motor build

i am getting

-ram horn manifold, wrapped
-38mm external gate
-50 trim t3/t04e
-3in DP-
-block oil T and feed line
-oil pan that already has AN fitting welded on

i figured if i kept the boost around 6-8 psi range it would be fine on the stock motor and injectors, i know i need to find a tune, and have it burnt so i can put that in my socketed ecu.

one question i have is, do i need an oil restrictor for this journal bearing turbo? i have a 5857 DBB on my MR2 and that came with a restrictor already on it but thats DBB so i know it needs it...but i am unfamiliar with journal bearing oiling...

i will need to make a oil return line from the turbo, any suggestion on sizing?

also my buddy works at a ex. shop and he said he will weld up intake plumbing for free, so i have that part taken care of..

my other question is spark plugs...will 1 heat range colder ngk coppers with the gap closed to say.. .028 be sufficient?

my current motor is healthy and runs strong..is there anything i need to do to modify the breather setup to handle the boost i will be running? i have a catch can sitting in my garage which i can throw on it if need be.

i am not going all out, obviously, i just want to throw this setup on because i can do it for so cheap and have a nice little power gain... let me know if there is anything i missed or forgot about...will post up some pics soon

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I would use the catch can and delete the Pvc system for sure. The turbo will create positive pressure in the PVC and wont let your crankcase breath so you will blow the seals.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use the catch can and delete the Pvc system for sure. The turbo will create positive pressure in the PVC and wont let your crankcase breath so you will blow the seals.
thats what i was figuring...so i can leave the black box on the back of the block alone, and just run the line from the valve cover to the catch can? or what is the optimal way of doing this?

·
Registered
410 Posts
3SGTE FTW!!

That's a score for the turbo stuff and you're doing it the right way far as I'm concerned: bulding the engine out of the car and whatnot. Do you have a FMIC already?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
thats what i was figuring...so i can leave the black box on the back of the block alone, and just run the line from the valve cover to the catch can? or what is the optimal way of doing this?
I left the black box, took apart a pcv and made it hollow, vented the crank case from there and the VC.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Stock injectors depending usually can do 150-180whp before max out. They did come on type r's and other hondas that near maxxed them out. That setup. 6-8psi stock fuelig will be fine. Better spray pattern at the pulsewith you will need is another thing.

-3 line from the block. -4 is to much supply.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
3SGTE FTW!!

That's a score for the turbo stuff and you're doing it the right way far as I'm concerned: bulding the engine out of the car and whatnot. Do you have a FMIC already?
I also noticed his avi.

But OP, how you gonna tune it? Injectors? Wideband?

·
Registered
223 Posts
check the spring in the wastegate and make sure it is under 10 psi if your going to run the stock map sensor. i'd look into getting a fuel pump. definatly run a catch can. your gonna need an iat out of a crv thread in style. dsm 450s should be in your future too. and i ran a restrictor when i had a journal bearing, i dont remember what size it was but i made my own by welding the whole on my fitting and drilling it out again to the correct size

good luck, hope it works out

oh and ngk bkr7e for plugs .028 is a good starting point, tighten 'em if your engine breaks up towards the end of the rpm band by about .002 each time. given everything else is in tip top shape

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also noticed his avi.

But OP, how you gonna tune it? Injectors? Wideband?
i have my p06 socketed..so just have someone burn a tune... i kno ppl have used the stock 240cc inj. and stock fuel pressure, with 6-8 psi boost and its fine... i might do wideband...i have the Innovate data logging one on my MR2 and love it...

·
Registered
223 Posts
i know people have too, but for the 150 bucks i'd take the cheap insurance. and i'd also try to find someone professional to give you a quick street tune. for around 150 you can have a descent tune you can rely on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts