Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My MSD recently died on me the other day, I have the car running on the blaster SS coil I had running with the SCI and I have not noticed too much of a difference. My question is: will the MSD SCI make that much of a difference on the car with the turbo, or should just running the blaster coil going to be all I need?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
just run the stock ignition or the blaster coil and close the gap down a little.. i run mine at .030" with no misfire problems on the stock ignition.. i also used to have an msd ignition but i took that shit off and never looked back..

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, I leave it off then. That will save mee about $200 I wasn't wanting to spend.

T

·
0 Posts
honestly considering going back to a stock ignition with possibly a better coil in the distributor to satisfy my performance parts needs.

Getting tired of all the dam wiring for the ignition system and I doubt it does a dam thing.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
konigcivic said:
just run the stock ignition or the blaster coil and close the gap down a little.. i run mine at .030" with no misfire problems on the stock ignition.. i also used to have an msd ignition but i took that shit off and never looked back..
I cant believe Im hearing this, I love my MSD setup.....

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
bigwig said:
I know many tuners suggest stock ignition over MSD/Crane/Aftermarket. Even on high power setups.
Ive always wondered why??? I mean the MSD setup gives the ignition mutliple spark and all, youd think it would make more power, but then again I do remember in a import tuner it has a full MSD setup that made 5-7 hp on a high turboed civic ex like a 98 or so a few years back, but I suppose that 300-400 bucks for 5-7hp isnt really worth it to some.........

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ignition upgrades shouldnt really make any power, and if it does, it shouldnt be much at all. Think about it, if you are in a room full of gasoline fumes and is oxygen rich it doesnt take much to start the flame. Same thing with your spark plugs. As long as they spark and ignite the fuel mixture everything is tits. MSD systems seem to cause misfiring and all sorts of nonsense on cars. Its been said that the OEM stuff works just dandy. No reason to change things around if its been proven to work well.

·
Banned
443 Posts
MyblkVTEC said:
Ive always wondered why??? I mean the MSD setup gives the ignition mutliple spark and all, youd think it would make more power,
Why would it? You need *one* spark to ignite the mix, and then there's a lack of air/fuel blend immediately surrounding the plug as the burn takes off around it.

MSDs:

1) fail
2) alter ignition timing signal
3) lend zero gains (regardless of what advertising $ driven magazine reviews say)
4) have been attributed to power losses
5) kill ignitors

Rules of thumb:

Stock ignition = 400 whp.
Stock ignition with an uprated coil (Blaster2, etc) = 500whp
From there, going to coilpack or individual coil on plug setups allow for more charging time per coil per engine revolution, and therefore a stronger spark for the higher power situations.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Joseph Davis said:
Why would it? You need *one* spark to ignite the mix, and then there's a lack of air/fuel blend immediately surrounding the plug as the burn takes off around it.

MSDs:

1) fail
2) alter ignition timing signal
3) lend zero gains (regardless of what advertising $ driven magazine reviews say)
4) have been attributed to power losses
5) kill ignitors

Rules of thumb:

Stock ignition = 400 whp.
Stock ignition with an uprated coil (Blaster2, etc) = 500whp
From there, going to coilpack or individual coil on plug setups allow for more charging time per coil per engine revolution, and therefore a stronger spark for the higher power situations.
Thanks for the input.....

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
if your msd runs perfect go with it.. i had nothing but problems..

idle misfires
misfires through the whole rpm range
$40 msd caps and honda rotors every few months

i even called msd and told them my whole install and setup to what size wires i was using and all, they could not help me..

im back on the stock ignition and i cant even remember the last time i replaced the cap and rotor, still runs like a champ.. i love it!!

·
Banned
443 Posts
Oh, yeah, TOTALLY forgot.

I love the way the homosexual MSD plug wires fall off for no reason whatsoever... Honduh distributor cap, MSD distributor cap, it does not matter. They flat out make plug wires that weren't meant to fit on anything.

Which is okay, anyway, since OEM plug wires are cheaper, and all you need until you reach the point you have to go coilpack/coil on plug.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i didnt have that problem with the wires falling off, but mine did start arcing very bad after only a year.. when i put back on my 8 year old honda wires it ran good again..

oem:TU:

D

·
0 Posts
Just in case anyway wants to know: A friend of mine running an early 90s nissan something or other. Setup was I/H/E cheap coilovers and a custom 96 wet shot ran a 13.4 one weekend then put on the MSD 6AL and then proceeded to run consistent 13.2 after that. Not a huge help but help none the less. Ill just say if I was running 13.1 and an MSD setup would get me 12.9 you bet your ass Im gonna do it just to say I got into the 12s LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts