Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the wires first. They had to be cut to fit perfect, as two were too long; however, I didn't feel comfortable cutting everything up and sufficient hardware to resize them wasn't included. At one point, one wire was touching the hood and, over time, began to arc off the hood...BAD. Also, they would come loose, as in where the wire connects to the spark plug, so I had to check that frequently. At first it wasn't a problem, but after changing plugs, adjusting valves, etc., for a while the connections got loose fast. Wouldn't buy again.

Coil made a difference all by itself: quicker starts-ups, small improvement in fuel efficiency, revved up a little smoother. Easy install, except there isn't a pre-made distributor kit for the D16Y8, so you have to drill and silicone it--not terrifically sturdy over time. Would definitely buy again, esp. since I have a motor they make a pre-modified dizzy cap for. One down-side was that the part was not registered as "for my car," so I couldn't pass smog in CA--bastards! Smogged it elsewhere for less.

Ignition unit worked great. Effortless start-up; engine revved up really smooth all the way to 7.2k (red-line). Saved me 1-3mpg on gas. At one point I had the car getting 42-43mpg highway, 37-38 city (about 40 avg). Down-side is that the unit is HUGE, and finding a good place for it wasn't fun, but I stuffed it down by where the CAI goes into the fender. Also, my dizzy didn't have an electrical pick-up for the unit, so I couldn't get it to work...no power, despite what the manual said. I called MSD and they were helpful and explained the "why" behind the problem and told me what I should do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had this set up in my DA. It did run smoother. The entire operation of the car went smoother, smooth idle, smooth acceleration and even a difference between shifts. If you can get the whole set up as a package cheap then I say go for it. I dont know about buying it retail verse the overall performance. Unless you're making pretty decent power, then that's when you really notice i.e. I ran MSD systems on small block chevys pushing 300-400 horse and I noticed a huge differenct. A large part of that could have been chevy ignition systems aren't that great from the factory anyway, and Hondas ignition system has been proven up to (if I can recall) 400whp. But either way MSD does put out a good product and can yield some pretty decent results if you have the full set up or just missing the box. :TU:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts