Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great deal for an MSD blaster coil. wondering what I need to run this thing?

can I do it with JUST a modded cap? or do I need a MSD ignition box as well to run it.

how does it connect to the dizzy? I need all the details of the wiring lol.

I found the MSD install guide but I just want to clear everything up....

·
Registered
349 Posts
well when i put one on my 88 crx w/zc ..you need the msd cap..the coil you bought should come w/ a coil wire , if it didnt you need one of those..basically you need to remove your old coil then i splice the wires from the old coil to your new one ..its like 2-3 wires (simple) good luck

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
well when i put one on my 88 crx w/zc ..you need the msd cap..the coil you bought should come w/ a coil wire , if it didnt you need one of those..basically you need to remove your old coil then i splice the wires from the old coil to your new one ..its like 2-3 wires (simple) good luck
yep :TU:
and you dont need the msd box
:werd: I had a msd sci that crapped out on me, took it off and didn't notice a diff.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

this is how i brought the wire's out of the dizzy to go to the MSD ignition.. i drilled a small hole in the side of the dizzy the used some shrink wrap... i actually re-did this a lil bit but the principle is the same...

·
Registered
349 Posts
yup...the cap has a slid out piece that youre supposed to run the wires out from to the coil...well atleast mine di

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
yup...the cap has a slid out piece that youre supposed to run the wires out from to the coil...well atleast mine di
not mine... my Y8 dizzy and the Ls dizzy both don't have the slid out piece...

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts

this is how i brought the wire's out of the dizzy to go to the MSD ignition.. i drilled a small hole in the side of the dizzy the used some shrink wrap... i actually re-did this a lil bit but the principle is the same...
that's the same thing I did on mine. Instead of shrink wrap I put some clear silicone around the hole.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
damn very nice and fast responce. I think ill definetly be doing this hell for 17 bucks it cant hurt. everyone I talked to said it helped idle a tad and feelt smoother up top(very respectable people with fast cars not ricers lol)

reps for all BTW :).

thx so much guys.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
yeh this is not a hard install at all, shouldnt take any more than 30 minutes tops, and thats if you have no idea what you are doing.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just been reading. the stock amp doesnt seem to have enough juice to recharge the coil fast enought. this woul in effect loose top end spark...

what do you think about this???

·
Registered
943 Posts
just been reading. the stock amp doesnt seem to have enough juice to recharge the coil fast enought. this woul in effect loose top end spark...

what do you think about this???
One of the local tuners told me the stock igniter doesn't drive aftermarket coils very well. Switching back to a stock coil got rid of my high boost miss.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One of the local tuners told me the stock igniter doesn't drive aftermarket coils very well. Switching back to a stock coil got rid of my high boost miss.
yea thats basicly what I said....

this looks like an upgrade but only if you use a box. just what I was suspisius of.

I think ill just let that deal go....

if anyone else want it go to the classifieds of www.superhonda.com

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
what do you drive because there was a recall on the ef's back in 91 for the igniter. they were failing and causing the cars not to crank everynow and then and also causing misses at higher rpms. You can go to any honda dealership and find out the recalls for your car through vin and they can tell you if it was changed or not if the work was done at a dealership. maybe already known info but some may not know.

·
Registered
943 Posts
what do you drive because there was a recall on the ef's back in 91 for the igniter. they were failing and causing the cars not to crank everynow and then and also causing misses at higher rpms. You can go to any honda dealership and find out the recalls for your car through vin and they can tell you if it was changed or not if the work was done at a dealership. maybe already known info but some may not know.
That was a product update that covered a no-start condition. I replaced hundreds of those ignitors under warranty the first few years I worked for Honda.

I'm running a stock ignition system: including coil, igniter, cap and wires. It doesn't miss a beat to 27 psi. The msd coil didn't like anything over 22psi.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
just fyi. I had a msd sci ignition with the same coil and removed it recently. the car runs a whole lot better with the stock ignition system in place. save yourself the time and energy.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
That was a product update that covered a no-start condition. I replaced hundreds of those ignitors under warranty the first few years I worked for Honda.

I'm running a stock ignition system: including coil, igniter, cap and wires. It doesn't miss a beat to 27 psi. The msd coil didn't like anything over 22psi.
yeh i read your profile after i posted that, i guess you already knew that since you are a tech, but i guess there are other people that didnt know that so its still information that is usable to others. But it is nice to know you can give your vin to a dealership and they can tell you what all recalls and upgrades they did. i guess it could help in problem elimination.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts