Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question those of you runing enough psi to run a 14 second 1/4 mi what kind of MPG are you getting? (IE: turbo d16z6 as reason for title)

·
Registered
41 Posts
we could tell you a whole bunch of different numbers but none of them would be right. It all depends on how you drive it...We all know turbos eat gas. They can also get quite normal gas mileage....

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um-....ok- well lets add some factors

1. When you do not have your foot in it
2. psi as far down as safe (say you usually run about 12 or so and your bring it down to like 4)
3. Lets say you a have a T3 turbo with an electronic boost controller and a small FMIC

It does not matter to me what car you have the D16z6 in (crx civic or dels sol) as long as it is turboed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
WHen my Z6 was running low 14's i'd get 32-35mpg on trips if i drove it easy. If i hammered on it(which is what happened most of the time) I'd get a little over 20mpg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes it can be many diff# depend on the set up.....low boost or power hunger.
Fuel management technique also paly a big role too.(FMU, VAFC Hack, E-mange, Stand alone ECU etc.)
Cause we need to add more gas in a proper portion of what we add air....so be expect more mpg than NA
Diff technique have diff. charactor to ultilize more gas that we add in. Im not familar with FMIC but
My set up VAFC Hack is around 10 Km per liter (city drive) not sure to convert to mpg.
Anyway that is ~10-15% eat more gas when Im on NA

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I dont know what I would get if I ran 14's :) but I know I am in 13's and possibly 12's this weekend and I go through about 10 dollars every 150 miles @ 3.19 a gallon ..

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24-26 right now but we haven't finished tuning my car it's jsut low booste tuned and not for gas limage, that comes later when we fix the high rpm poping.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok then i have a couple more queations-
1. the d16z6 came in the del sol si right? how many did they make of the si del sols for the usa? and the same question for the civic si from 92-95. (in other words how hard of a time am i going to have finding on eto purchace?

2. How is it possible that that you guys are getting like 27MPG or so on average? The turbo eclipses lasers and talons from the early 90's get aroudn like 23 the gallon- is it because these cars weigh from 1900 to 2200 pounds rather than 2400-2900? Or is it that they are just tuned right? Because the 14b turbo on the dsms is smaller than a t3 is it not?

3. if it is all about being tuned right than what the heck do you guys do that the dsm guys don't do? Because that is absolutely insane abd making me want to do this even more if it is all about the tuning (btw the eclipse is a 2.0lt engine is it that it has a biger engine than too?)

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
one of the factors is that honda prides itself on having high mpg cars. our civics come from the factory with 30-45 mpg motors (depending on which motor). a turbo does not really effect the efficiency of the motor, unless you're stomping on it like crazy. yes, you'll have to add a little more fuel with bigger injectors, but you're not going to see a huge loss from that. it comes from stomping on it, and having fun with the turbo, which a lot of people do because of the boost. but you would see lowered mpg rates even if you were stock and doing that. also a bigger engine will almost always yield lower rates. a 1.6L versus a 5L, common sense will tell you the 1.6L will get better gas mileage. obviously, this isn't ALWAYS the case, but it can kind of be a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
44 Posts
SOHC_Rules said:
fmic = frount mount intercooler... ur not familiar with these?
oh.....ic....... :p my bad......(though some kind of fuel mgt.)
So, I do now.....
Thanks SOHC_Rules :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
If youre in boost constantly, its gonna be bad. If you can keep your foot out of it, youll get good MPG.

·
Registered
146 Posts
well my 1st tank of gas since i got my turbo installed at 7-9 psi on my d16y8 and driving fairly hard and in boost all the time was about 22 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts