Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX coupe
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AtPwnsyGTxw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AtPwnsyGTxw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
the vette only got that much mileage cuz there were alot of downhill runs where he could 'coast'...I was surprised at how shitty the mileage was on the prius though, the dash display was claiming 99.1mpg and in fact he got like 39mpg....

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
my wife's 06 hemi charger gets at least 25 on the highway averaging 80mph, it has a feature where it turns off four cylinders to save gas...it all boils down to driving style...hypermill ftw

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I didn't watch the video but I had this convs with a local car editor, he cannot believe me that a big block FI could actually save gas as a hybrid vehicle on highway scales.

On a daily basis in city MPG the hybrid wins, the frequently stop and go for a V8 is a super gas consumption, but on highway it's easy to understand. At a 55mph highway trip a prius with its 4cyl will be probably cruising at 3-4k rpms... what do you think a V8 revs at 55mph in 6th gear? it's around 2-3k rpms... (without considering the cylinder "shut down"in some car makers 8 to 6 to 4)

you know can figure out the rest

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree the Prius is an over rated car, and I think the only reason it out sold the Insight is because of the room it offered over it. But when it boils down to which car is the better Hybrid, I don't think they have come out with anything close to the Insight yet, when most of them claim 80+ mpg.

The C5 did surprise me, but because if I was to get a hybrid, it would be an Insight, the hybrid vs v8 wouldn't even come close. Plus....I enjoy my small Hondas.

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
sampling size is waaaaay to small...imo
Agreed. 43 miles really isn't far enough to get an accurate reading from the pumps.

If 39 is all the prius can get, that's pretty pathetic.

Also, keep in mind that the C5 has a 6speed transmission which really helps out with fuel efficiency. They're EPA rated at 25-26 highway.

·
Great example of a n00b
278 Posts
Prius might be overrated... but it backed by the goverment programs such as

EZ-pass - discount for tunnel/bridge/highway tolls
Tax Credit -
HOV lanes on Long Island Expressway.

Just a thought.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
ehhh my crownvic gets like 25mpg highway and thats a 4spd auto. I can get it to say 99mpg too ive done it.

but yeah fuck the prius. Ill spend 3g for a dx hatch and get the same or better for ALOT less money

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I didn't watch the video but I had this convs with a local car editor, he cannot believe me that a big block FI could actually save gas as a hybrid vehicle on highway scales.

On a daily basis in city MPG the hybrid wins, the frequently stop and go for a V8 is a super gas consumption, but on highway it's easy to understand. At a 55mph highway trip a prius with its 4cyl will be probably cruising at 3-4k rpms... what do you think a V8 revs at 55mph in 6th gear? it's around 2-3k rpms... (without considering the cylinder "shut down"in some car makers 8 to 6 to 4)

you know can figure out the rest
The Prius cruises at around 2k rpm at highway speed. It only needs like 25 hp to maintain 70 mph...

I have one - the display will show 99.9 mpg anytime you lift your foot off the pedal, that's the instantaneous display.

I normally get 55-60 mpg in my wife's Prius.

I don't see a whole lot of Civics doing that, with enough room in the back to fit two car seats without struggling.

Love how all the people who flame have probably never even driven one. ;)

It's a comfortable, big, safe car that happens to get extremely good gas mileage. It's not stripped down, has a lot of cool features.

The only Civic that can reasonably compared to it is the 06+ Civic Hybrid, which is just as expensive.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
The Prius cruises at around 2k rpm at highway speed. It only needs like 25 hp to maintain 70 mph...

I have one - the display will show 99.9 mpg anytime you lift your foot off the pedal, that's the instantaneous display.

I normally get 55-60 mpg in my wife's Prius.

I don't see a whole lot of Civics doing that, with enough room in the back to fit two car seats without struggling.

Love how all the people who flame have probably never even driven one. ;)

It's a comfortable, big, safe car that happens to get extremely good gas mileage. It's not stripped down, has a lot of cool features.

The only Civic that can reasonably compared to it is the 06+ Civic Hybrid, which is just as expensive.
is that 55-60mpg what the readout claims, or is that what you've observed by filling up and calculating the miles? Because on the vid the prius only averaged 39 observed mpg.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts