Which harness

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Civic EX Coupe
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just got all the parts needed to do the MPFI swap and will be doing so soon and i have the complete MPFI engine harness now my question is :

Should i use the complete MPFI harness and add the extra wires to the ECU from where the wires connect to the main harness or should i mod the DX harness
also any tips from people that have done this swap are welcome :bigok:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
Since Honda changed the wiring harnesses during the production run you are best off to keep the harness that came with the car from Honda and modify as needed from there.

You will save yourself ALOT of headaches.

BTW this info is from Brian G. of HASport and Joe "Locash" Sawyer a former HASport employee that now has his own business.

There is an 88, 89, and 90-91 harnesses and they WILL not just plug and play with different years. Sure you can move the pins, but mine you are dealing with wiring that is about 20 years old.

I helped fix a conversion that the customer screwed up. The labor bill alone was $1000 to fix all the wiring. The shop I was at was the second shop to work on the car, or third party.

After 6 hours of tracing wires, we cut the ECU free and rewired it, then sorted the pins at the engine harness.

Total bill between two shops was $2000......first shop or customer fried a ECU.

/end thread

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
i have done this and it seems to be dasire to mothe the dx harness how over you can send the dx harness and have then mod it i think rywire does it,anyways its not that hard to do it your self there are plenty of diy write ups out there.

here is one of three that i used
http://hondacrx881.tripod.com/mpfiswap.html
Dude, drunk or english..........neither is making sense right now :)

·
Registered
96 Civic EX Coupe
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since Honda changed the wiring harnesses during the production run you are best off to keep the harness that came with the car from Honda and modify as needed from there.

BTW this info is from Brian G. of HASport and Joe "Locash" Sawyer a former HASport employee that now has his own business.

There is an 88, 89, and 90-91 harnesses and they WILL not just plug and play with different years. Sure you can move the pins, but mine you are dealing with wiring that is about 20 years old.

I helped fix a conversion that the customer screwed up. The labor bill alone was $1000 to fix all the wiring. The shop I was at was the second shop to work on the car, or third party.

After 6 hours of tracing wires, we cut the ECU free and rewired it, then sorted the pins at the engine harness.

/end thread

true i was wondering about the wiring being different from years my car is a 91 DX hatch and the harness is out of a 90 EX sedan so yeah i think ill just stick with the DX harness and mod it . so not looking forward to doing the wireing but i feel when i drive the car after its done my work will pay off :bigok:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
you might be able to get by since 90-91 are "supposed" to be compatible......

Honda got it right for 92-95 I must say.

I have a hatred for 88-91, the wiring differences and PITA to work on due to battery location and front tranny mount.

More room inside though.

·
yEaH tHaT gUy!!!
my hatchy
3,177 Posts

/end thread

listen to this man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts