Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I've read everywhere that people buy the mix match kit form lightning motorsports which i did. It's been over a month since i ordered my kit but it still has not arrived, and lightning motorsports says they are back ordered and won't be here till the end of this month or till next month. My question is if i could use a mix and match head bolt 9 z6 or a6 bolts and 1 y8 bolt or do I have to use the stud kit? I need this car running by this weekend and I have a full set of z6 head bolts and a full set of y8 head bolts. Thank you for your help! :bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just need the car running for a short period of time until my arp head stud kit arrives. I'm really tempted to try and use the head bolts just so the car starts

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
if it just for a short period of time and you dont mind taking the risk IMO id use them, and have re-used head bolts. im not sure where but i read someone say something about how it is "frowned upon" and uncommon to reuse oem or stock headbolts but the only time they are bad/stretched is during overheat,there are a few that have done it with success including myself. do you know the history of the headstuds? ie, overheated, mileage stuff like that?

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Head bolts have roughly 90k miles on them, never overheated in excellent condition. I'm not planning on using these forever I just want to use them to get my car running for 3-4 weeks or until my arp head stud kit arrives and then switch them out.

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
you should be fine. just torque them down to spec, i re-used the mix n max setup i used on my a6/y8 for 3 years with no problems.

edit: come to think of it, the current owner is still running the same setup and i have yet to hear from him about any problems with it.

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have the mix match headstud kit just yet, i was asking if i could use all 10 z6 bolts or use a mix and match head bolt kit

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
thats what i mean. i mixed the stock headbolts. my bad for the confusion. i used 9 of the stock a6 ones and one y8 one. worked like a charm

·
Registered
89 Crx Si
135 Posts
I did this once. I used a b7 block and used those 9 bolts and 1 y8. I never had a problem.

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh so I do have to mix and match head bolts. No problem, i got those, will use em till shitty lightning motorsports sends me my arp kit.

·
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
yes you do. you need 1 y8 head bolt the rest are the a6 ones. IIRC its the nearest one to the vtec solenoid. a quick search will yield the proper answer tho. been a while since i looked at that...

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
I ran into this with my y7/z6 setup. I called Speedfactory and they told me they use y-series studs and just pull the stud by the vtec solenoid out of the block a couple threads so you can get the nut tightened down. I was suspicious of this at first, but it's what Matt said they do on their very own cars. I would imagine you can do the same with an a6/y8 combo, while using a6 studs.

Temporarily, you should be fine with using old head bolts. I've done it on 3 or 4 head swaps and it really isn't as big of a deal unless the motor has gotten pretty overheated or the head lifted or something. Never had any issues. The probability of something bad happening is slim.

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm going to be running around 12.5-13.1 compression, will the head bolts do just fine? I was also extremely skeptical about cutting some threads off the bolt but if speedfactory has done it on their cars, im sure itll be safe for just under a moth.

edit - head has been cleaned by a machine shop replacing valves n stems etc etc, block is freshly rebuild with a .030 deck cup and honing and what not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts