Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i might pick up a motor with 150,000 miles and it has a broken cam? should i still pick it up? and when i do what should i look at? why would the cam simply break?
and would the block still be good do you guys think?

i shot a rod through my block :) thats why i need a new engine.

·
Registered
my civic
780 Posts
i would love to give you input but i got none i dnt know how you would break a cam is it a built motor or stock? my buddies got a civic with 150000 and it was ran the piss out of when we got it and we through a turbo on it and run the piss out of it and we still dnt break anything it isnt even tuned so idk i would check the pan see what metal is laying around. but i would deffinitly take it to the blockshop when you do get it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would love to give you input but i got none i dnt know how you would break a cam is it a built motor or stock? my buddies got a civic with 150000 and it was ran the piss out of when we got it and we through a turbo on it and run the piss out of it and we still dnt break anything it isnt even tuned so idk i would check the pan see what metal is laying around. but i would deffinitly take it to the blockshop when you do get it.

thanks man yeah i wanted to pick it up but that broken cam just kept bugging me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for sure. if he were to still buy the motor id only buy the block... and have it decked too. but you might as well just get something else.
so the block should still be good then? hmmm i may just pick up the block then. no damage should be to the block right?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
if its not more than 50 bucks, yeah the block is worth it, if not then no

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
if its not more than 50 bucks, yeah the block is worth it, if not then no
thanks guys
very true. if the crank is still good and the block is really cheap then get it. but i would deffenitly get it decked because chances are if the cam broke then the head got warped and if the head is warped then the block might be as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very true. if the crank is still good and the block is really cheap then get it. but i would deffenitly get it decked because chances are if the cam broke then the head got warped and if the head is warped then the block might be as well.
ok cool. The crank is still good thats for sure. but what do you mean by "get it decked?"

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
do you know what milled means? same thing for the most part. you take it to a machine shop and they take a thin layer or metal off the surface of the block to give you a new flat, fresh, higher compression surface.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do you know what milled means? same thing for the most part. you take it to a machine shop and they take a thin layer or metal off the surface of the block to give you a new flat, fresh, higher compression surface.
ok cool thanks a lot yeah i thought it was similar to being milled but wasnt 100% sure.

Pickin up the d16a6 block tomorrow for 30 bucks with intake mani, ecu, fuel rail, injectors, resistor box, ahha everything for multi port. all for 30 bucks. so im makin money because my engine is already multi port :)

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
take the head off him for nil, cause recyclers buy aluminum... HINT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts