Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm honestly tired of my d16 engine even tho its only at (176KM), and don't really want to boost it,
Don't really want to buy a new car either,
I'd want to spend at the max.. $2000/$2500 for a motor + labour +parts
The d16 has no balls at all, lol.

what would you suggest as a motor.. something that'll be easy on labor?
who would you recommend to do the motor swap? Who has a good deal..
and where could I find the specific motor you suggest?
Something around 200hp would be kick-ass in my honest opinion,
I live in Toronto.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
what car do you have specifically to include engine...

also to swap into a more powerful motor you should expect to see about a 1000 dollar labor fee, that leaves you with ~1500 to send on engine a tranny...depending on your current configuration will depend on the engine that you could swap into the car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a canadian 1999 honda civic si
which is a honda civic ex in america?
it currently has a d16y8.
Thanks boss.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
to do a swap and have a good noticible amount of power you will need to do a minimum b-series swap and that will cost quit a bit, new harness, tranny, axles, engine, motor mounts, etc...are you sure you don't want to do some upgrades on the d? it will be cheaper and bigger gains over a straight swap

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you turbocharge a d16 with 176,000km or swap?
Each would cost about $3,000CAD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my d16 currently has a fujita CAI, megan racing headers(lol) and apex-i WS2 catback exhaust..

I was pushing the fuck out of my civic today going to wasaga and I then realized how fucking slow it actually is.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
hmmm...do a compression test to see the health of your motor, you should get around 180 psi on all 4 (+/- ~15%)

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
also do you have an auto or manual tranny?

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
Ah Wasaga eh? You're only a few hours away from my neck of the woods :). I love Wasaga Beach. My family and I went there for summer vacation last year and it was a blast. Stayed there then went to Blue Mountain for the weekend.

Honestly, you can get B18B OBD-2 Integra non-VTEC engines for pretty cheap right now. Check out the complete swap on HMotorsOnline.com below:

B18B 94-01 (LS) Complete Change Over

The above complete changeover has actually come down in price. I think it used to be $2200.00 but it's now $2000.00

Since your Civic is a '99, it's OBD-2 and should be a fairly straightforward drop-in swap with some HASport motor mounts. They have decent power and have lots of potential for upgradeability. If it comes down to it, I might end up putting a B18B Teg engine in my Civic if nothing else.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
For your D16Y8 engine a complete kit with all that you need for DD turbo reliability, the Edelbrock kit can't be beat. Yes I know people will cry IT'S EXPENSIVE BLAH BLAH BLAH but no one can deny that while it is on the pricey side, it's worth it if you need a complete and thorough kit that comes with everything you need and aren't looking for gobs of horsepower. Edelbrock has two kits...a street kit that comes with it's own piggyback computer which is designed to run with the stock ECM and stock engine:

EDLEBROCK PERFORMER X STREET KIT

And they have a track kit which is designed to produce more power on built engines which doesn't come with any type of fuel or engine management:

EDELBROCK VICTOR X TRACK KIT

I know a lot of guys piece together their own kit or get pre-fabbed kits which just need engine management and the prices are very good. Go-Autoworks has a lot of positive feedback on the site not to mention they are a sponsor:

GO-AUTOWORKS TURBO KITS

I guess it all depends on how much power you want, how much experience you have with turbo kits and how thorough you want the kit to be. Given my location and the lack of tuning shops available (basically I'd be on my own here for boosting my EG), if I went the boost route I'd try to find a GSR engine in good shape that doesn't have a tons of kms on it, then go with the Edelbrock street kit and call it a day. It comes with everything I would need, is something I could install at work myself on a weekend and would make around 250whp on pump gas which is plenty fast for me in an EG :bigok:.

Don't get me wrong, a B18B LS engine is great for boost because it's turbo-ready right out of the box with something like 9.6:1 compression ratio. You'd probably have to piece together your own kit though for that engine because the GSR is the golden child of the performance parts scene and LS parts are not as common/in demand. But there are a lot of LS engine builds out there making tons of power.

You're only limited by your wallet and/or your imagination :)

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
your good for a turbo set up, as long as the engine is healthy...go and do a compression test on the motor to find out if it is healthy or not...

as mentioned above, these are the easiest choices, you can expect about 50-75% increase in power above stock with any of these kits add ons...the b-series will net you about the same with a lower torque rating, so about the same top end, and d will have a little better bottom end...

in the end though it is your choice on what to do...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts