Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 civic lx. Not sure about the motor but I think it's the d16y6 non vtec. But any way I'm not to famillure about the dseries motors because like my sign on says i'm used to b's. But what I want to know is what do i have to do to make a good reliable horsepower? I want around 200 wheel horsepower or more. I have a jdm h22 but I want to concider my options befor I drop this motor into my car. Its not about the price. The shop I use regularly will put it in for 850.00 all I have to do is get the extra parts. I'm a nitrous buff and I'm in the process of getting a direct port system for my car but I'm not sure what motor to go with. I know that it obvious to go with the h22 but i'm looking for a challenge. What do you guys recomend for this engine? or should i just scrap it?

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
200 whp D with nitrous is not hard.
200 whp turbo D isnt hard.
200 whp N/A D is a feat no one has done yet besides Bisi.

If you have the H22 already my vote is H2B.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok Iguess If I had to get my internals done before I could run 200whp. any suggestions on parts. Like i said very good at b series. hard to convert to d's. Would like to stay with the same class of motor for the car. thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
your car has a d16y7 rated at 106 chp and 103tq at the crank. if you already have the h22 i would have that put in but you might want something that gets good econ for daily driving.
Good luck

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
huh?

a stock d block is good for ~250 whp. imho, buy a used gready kit for the 96-00 ex's. ditch the e-management, and get a chipped ecu. turn up the boost till you get right around 230 whp, and drive it till the wheels fall off. which in our cases, means you great grand children will have to rebuild the motor, lol.

also, imho h22 are for the rich tuners. why?, because of the fiber cylinder walls. unless you have the cash to sleeve the block (well unless you have a machine shop who has the right machine) they are not really worth it to build.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A greddy kit for the 96 ex huh? I will look that up. I'm also looking at n20 but the turbo thing will definetly work Thanks

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
also, imho h22 are for the rich tuners. why?, because of the fiber cylinder walls. unless you have the cash to sleeve the block (well unless you have a machine shop who has the right machine) they are not really worth it to build.
i beg to differ lol. h22 with boltons and maybe some tuning will be in low 13s to high twelves, depending on the chassis and driver maybe faster. sleeves are only if you want forged pistons for boost, not to mention mahle makes coated pistons that are supposed to work with the stock sleeves. not to mention even on a lower boost application with no engine mods you could bump near high two hundred to three hundred hp. h22's biggest downfall is its transmission- not good for high rpm shifting from what i hear which is where h2b comes in. haha can you tell i want one? go h22 if youve already got it id say

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
^^ Agree 100%. My buddy has a h22 in his 95 integra. With bolt on's and a set of 18" rims, he hit a best time of 14.2.Imagine that in a lighter civic with smaller rims. So you might want to consider the h22. There is definetly a lot of down low tq, which is alway's fun.

·
Formerly weebeastie
943 Posts
I'm a former H fan

Now I'm looking at D's with a little more respect. If you like to drive your car hard in the corners, stay away from the H22. You will have to change the weight distribution in the car by adding weight to the rear so it will handle properly. Its not too bad, but in a friends CRX/H22 we had to put 2 cinder blocks in the rear quarter panels to make it handle properly. The H is considerably larger than the D. Build an NA non vtec D16a6 with a Bisimoto stage 2 cam, P29 pistons(high compression), shave the head and use high octane fuel. Thats what I'm doing. 13's with ease, stock weight distribution/handling, stock appearance, will outrun any factory GSR/SI, and all with a measely 98 cubic inches. Or you could go vitara's (low compression) and hit a 75 wet shot of nitrous. Great MPG, quiet exhaust, run low 13's, blow the B's and H's off the road, and always have a shit grin on your face.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I respect the d's alot and thats what was keeping me focused ont the same motor. I bought the h22 for the integra that I had. I traded for the civic because I want the shit eaten grin! I think I will try the n2o onthe motor first then swap the h22

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i beg to differ lol. 1h22 with boltons and maybe some tuning will be in low 13s to high twelves, depending on the chassis and driver maybe faster. 2sleeves are only if you want forged pistons for boost, 3not to mention mahle makes coated pistons that are supposed to work with the stock sleeves. not to mention even on a lower boost application with no engine mods you could bump near high two hundred to three hundred hp. h22's biggest downfall is its transmission- not good for high rpm shifting from what i hear which is where h2b comes in. 4 haha can you tell i want one? go h22 if youve already got it id say
1)true, once you cough up the cash to get all the swap gear.
2)umm have you looked at how much that costs to a block that big, again not cheap
3)those things have, again, a very nice tag on them.
4)had on in my accord, not really worth it. much rather have a d or b. hog on gas, made the nose feel heavy during hard turn-in. and that is in an accord, where it was suppose to be.

over all, i say leave it for those with cash to burn. h22 dd power is a dream for civics. and not really worth the hassel to shove it between the fenders. if he has all the gear and all the knowledge to get it to run correctly (i.e. the correct springs/linkage/mounts/trans conversion kit [if he went h2b]/build trans) he could have a very nicely swapped NA b-series or built d-series with cash to spare. not to mention forget about resale value, unless you want to take a dive on the price. do the swap and then tell me it is worth it to have in a dd. trust me and the people in my area that have done that swap before, it is really not worth it in any chassis. unless it is a deticated strip car.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
im currently building a h2b which should be done in like two weeks! i will def keep everyone posted on how i like it along with times, pics and videos!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I look into the h22b but thought it was a hoax. I might get rid of the h22 and start on the d or maybe go back to a b.

·
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
explain why u think its a hoax?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its hard to see a kit that mates a h series to a b series tranny. I thought it was one of those fly by night hoaxes that just takes people money. I just heard about it but haven't seen any on the street.

·
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts