Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I'm going to pull my 93's D16Z6 Saturday after X-Mas. Head Gasket is the main reason. Leaking oil (not burning) is the other reason. Just doing the gaskets, and a good cleaning. What advice do you have?

Can I just pull the motor not the tranny (auto)?
Any special tools needed?
Should I use Permatex Ultra Grey on or instead of any gaskets?

What else?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Way easier to pull the engine + trans at the same time. Be sure to use good gaskets, I won't use any less than OEM honda on my engines but fel-pro seems to hold up well.

The only thing I use RTV sealant on are the corners of the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Liquid sealant on corners of the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket, also used for the oil pump and rear main seal gasket. Everywhere else is a no-no. I use the Permatex high temp gasket maker.

·
sprinkle fingers
435 Posts
Liquid sealant on corners of the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket, also used for the oil pump and rear main seal gasket. Everywhere else is a no-no. I use the Permatex high temp gasket maker.
you should never use any sealant of any kind on the oil pan gasket. however, valve cover corner edges are fine.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
That could very well be why my oil pan gasket has a very tiny leak on the side facing the crank pulley. I thought the oil dripping down from there was from the oil pump seal, so I put a brand new OEM honda one in and the oil still leaks extremely slowly.

Huh...interesting. Next oil change I might drop the pan and have a go with some RTV. Thanks for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts