Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
allright well i aspire to build a high revving n/a motor and im wondering if its safe here will be the full setup

D16y8 block
bored .5mm over
decked .5mm
d16y8 crank (knife edged and balanced)
mains ground .25mm
rods ground .5mm (spun rod bearing)
d16 rods with arp hardware
ycp p29 pistons
cometic .050in hg
d16y8 head ported( i have a z6 head to use as an option)
zex 105300 camshaft
itb setup cbr 929 or 954 itbs mated to z6 manifold
acl race bearings
shimmed y8 oil pump
obviously bigger injectors...ill pretty much need them for just the e85
act prolitle fly(mmmmmm responce)

now heres where it gets tricky ok well when plugging all the varibles into the zealautowerks calc i get a 12.92 static and a 12.75 effective comp ratio. Which is high... higher than i can safely run on 93 but theres a loop hol to that which ill get into later. Now if i ditch the cometic hg and go with standard honda that raises compression ratio to a super high 13.47 which the loop hole might still apply to that also. Ok well the loop hole is e85 its like 106 octane i believe which actually works out quite well. Seeing as gas prices are steadily rising and if i go this build ill essentialy be running race gas all the time and ill be saving money. Now heres y im wondering if its safe not only am i unsure of running such high comp on a street motor but the fact that the block as been decked that .5mm, and i dont want anything hitting. Also the crank ground worries me for reliability mainly cause it had a spun bearing and if i can run acl race bearings i dont think i want to use it. Oh and about my z6 head that i can use it would lower the static comp to 12.8 with y8 hg and 12.3 with cometic .050in one. Now i know that i could clay the motor to find out for sure.I am wondering if anyone has any input to this setup. Because id like to build the motor while still having a car to drive then put the motor in break it in and get the bitch tuned. Ialso have option 2 to put a motor together swap it into the car and build the y8 that came out of my 99ex. Ultimetly il like a really high revving motor (9000rpm)just to do it...not rev the piss out of it every day just be able to do it

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I don't think it's good idea to 'rev' a build with a ground down y8 crank and oversize bearings, especially since y8's are known to spin bearings with stock cranks at any moment...lol People put too much stock in a 'high revving' engine anyways, you really want your build to have a fat midrange powerband, especially if it's gonna be a DD for the street where the only thing revving up to 9000 will get you is a cop pulling your ass over...lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true however that can be resolved with a shimmed pump. Main thing i am looking for is throttle responce and just an insane motor in general.The face that my car is a dd doesnt matter to me about where the power band is.And as far as revving to 9k it wont see it often if ever just looking to build the motor to safely rev to that level but set the rev limit under that. Im not too worried aobut the crank its not like its going to break we all know how much theese can handle or should i be worried.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I think the majority of knowledgeable people on this site will tell you that a d-series won't make power at rpms that high anyways, so why bother. Only reason I say go for the midrange is because that is what is gonna get you better acceleration on the street, ie you'll feel it in the seat. As far as the crank, a MUCH more experienced honda engine builder than I told me to throw away my z6 crank that spun #4 rod bearing, that's what I'm gonna do, better safe than sorry bro:TU:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i would leave the crank under a chair if i was you. its not going to be worth much more then a paper weight once ground on. i would also like to tell you reving that high is almost useless. the few high na whp guys rev to like 8 grand and stop, since no power was made past that for street application (~12:1 cr). search in the NA section for some of the other NA builders. also, did you happen to read the stickies? as in buildhatch's sticky about how to build a powerful NA d16y8/z6?

as far as suggesting builds, this is not really the section you want. you would more want to post this in the NA section. as they could help you pick and choose what to get to get where you want to get to. now once your ready to assemble or are having issues with assembly, etc, post those particular questions here in this section.

this is all just my opinion, and like all opinions, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do not grind a honda crankshaft . There is a nitride coating on it, once ground on its junk as the above people mentioned.

Since you are getting your block decked .5mm the p29's will sit .5mm in the hole instead of 1mm. With that done it will be making a better squench area. Also having it bored .5mm over it will deshroud your valves. With all that said, your comp ratio, proper camshaft selection, E85 and a GOOD TUNE. You will have a very responsive engine. 13.47:1 ..... dont be scared of it. With the combination of E85, a small bore, and a big BISI cam ;) that will bleed off alot of comp. Youll be just fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
allright well looks like i am going to put the block with os bearings and stock pistons so i can build off the block in the car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts