Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am going to start the work on my ZC/Y8 build tomorrow morning, but I have a few more questions for the D series gurus ;)

1. What size socket is the crank pulley bolt? What the best/easiest way of unbolting this bastard?
2. Where can I read up on aligning the distributor/making sure it's installed properly?
3. What's the best way to line up the block and head to TDC?
4. Are there any write ups out there that are more complete and list unbolting and bolting patterns, and also torque specs? (I can't find a helms manual locally a.t.m.)
5. What is your favorite or most complete mini me write up? I have a couple saved, but I might have missed something.

Please don't tell me to search, because I have been for a solid week and I have read through dozens of write ups. This is my first head swap, so I want to do it right the first time, with as little head aches as possible. Thanks for understanding everyone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
FIRST BUY A HAYNES OR CHILTON MANUAL. I believe its either a 14 or 17mm on that crank, best way is an impact gun over 1000lbs, any manual or even this site will have pics on that dizzy do the block with the head of #1 TDC then do the headby holding the head and turning the cam with an old belt or something till "up" reads "up"

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
I just redid the timing on mine last night so if I remember correctly the crank bolt is 19mm, and the tensioner is 14mm. As for finding TDC, when you remove the head, the easy way to do it is to make sure that the #4 and #1 cylinder are at the very top. For the head, if you look at the cam gear you'll notice that there are 2 dashes on either side of the gear. Line those up w/ the dech surface and that should be TDC for the head.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have fun with the pulley bolt. I've had to stick things in the inspection area of the tranny to wedge the flywheel. Then it was still a bitch. Take your time and have everything planned ahead of time. Make sure you have a good understanding of all steps. You don't want it to just sit there.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
What I do for the crank bolt is take an old headstud and stick it into one of the holes on the crank pulley. When you go to loosen the bolt, the pulley will turn a little and then the bolt will catch on the frame rail and hold the pulley steady. Just do that and use a breaker bar w/ a piece of pipe and it should pop right off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
JDMuniverse.com write-up is the best I have found...And when I did my head I didnt unbolt the crank I just slid the belt off...I dont think you can do this tho cuz you need a Y8 belt right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts