Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 59300 cam and spring/retainers, it is safe to rev more than 8k rpm´s.

I´m asking this cause maybe I´ll try it with my new turbo.

thinking about revving to 8.5-9K.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
With my 59300 cam and spring/retainers, it is safe to rev more than 8k rpm´s.

I´m asking this cause maybe I´ll try it with my new turbo.

thinking about revving to 8.5-9K.
I'm not sure how safe it will be but make sure there is a point to it. If you're not making power up there I wouldn't bother.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, maybe I´ll try , if I see my power band is too short, cause the turbo lag.

Just testing water for opinions, I´ll bolt everything together next week, and then will see.

·
Registered
187 Posts
thanks, maybe I´ll try , if I see my power band is too short, cause the turbo lag.

Just testing water for opinions, I´ll bolt everything together next week, and then will see.
I don't believe that you fully understand what Crazy had to say. if you don't have a positive gain in HP there is no point in revving that high, if your usable powerband isn't large enough it isn't remedied by revving higher. You need to look at your setup and see what needs to be altered or changed in that case.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't believe that you fully understand what Crazy had to say. if you don't have a positive gain in HP there is no point in revving that high, if your usable powerband isn't large enough it isn't remedied by revving higher. You need to look at your setup and see what needs to be altered or changed in that case.
yeah, I understand the point of Crazy.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
yeah, I understand the point of Crazy.
LOL at the newb thinking you didn't understand:dots:

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
I'm not sure how safe it will be but make sure there is a point to it. If you're not making power up there I wouldn't bother.

not many dseries motors will ever see power that high, but running bigger turbos, there is a huge gain in et times if you rev it higher so you wont fall out of boost within the next gear..

so my opinion would be, slap the turbo on, see how it spools to your current rpm limiter, if its a little laggy between gears, of course it will be a little laggy, but if its pretty bad, i say its worth a shot. you head can easily take 8500 rpm's.. im taking my stock head to 8k

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
not many dseries motors will ever see power that high, but running bigger turbos, there is a huge gain in et times if you rev it higher so you wont fall out of boost within the next gear..

so my opinion would be, slap the turbo on, see how it spools to your current rpm limiter, if its a little laggy between gears, of course it will be a little laggy, but if its pretty bad, i say its worth a shot. you head can easily take 8500 rpm's.. im taking my stock head to 8k
id have to agree with this one, figure out what your current powerband is before you decide your rev limit.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, I´ll slap the beast and then try to figure out what´s the best for this combo.

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
The head will be a little tight up top like you say, but it is still worth revving past peak power sometimes so you don't fall off boost in the next gear.
x2 you might lose power a bit up top but falling back into boost when you shift will help you out ALOT more

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
oh and i was also running my zc vtec head, stock everything motor wise EXCEPT a stage 3 exospeed cam at 2 degrees retarded up to 7800-8000 rpms for quite sometime with no problems... never dynoed it but it felt liek it was still pulling pretty hard... dont see any reason why a built motor shouldnt make power that high ESPECIALLY with the size turbo you have

·
Registered
566 Posts
oh and i was also running my zc vtec head, stock everything motor wise EXCEPT a stage 3 exospeed cam at 2 degrees retarded up to 7800-8000 rpms for quite sometime with no problems... never dynoed it but it felt liek it was still pulling pretty hard... dont see any reason why a built motor shouldnt make power that high ESPECIALLY with the size turbo you have
Cool i'm going to run an SC61, on a stock head (Z6) for now till i rip the motor apart again and port it with a new cam etc.

·
Registered
Civic
185 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm interested in this type of setup..

My D16Y1/D16Z6 + GReddy Kit is currently making 172Wheel HP on 10psi

But my 1/4 miles times suck big time PB 14.5 and I think part of the problem is losing boost in gear changes..

So a Zex 59300 + spring/retainers + D16Z6 + boost seems like it would help with this?

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Guys

I'm interested in this type of setup..

My D16Y1/D16Z6 + GReddy Kit is currently making 172Wheel HP on 10psi

But my 1/4 miles times suck big time PB 14.5 and I think part of the problem is losing boost in gear changes..

So a Zex 59300 + spring/retainers + D16Z6 + boost seems like it would help with this?

don´t think that your problems is falling out of boost, also the greddy turbo spools pretty fast

1 - 20 of 61 Posts