Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently running a crane 0012 cam.
I have about 12 to 1 compression isky springs Edelbrock Performer performer intake Edelbrock 65 millimeter throttle body 3 inch intake with velocity stack Skunk2 Alpha header.

How much power am I leaving on the table? Would I see a good game going to a Colt Tri flow 2 or an even bigger cam? I don't want the absolute peakiest powerband cam but I'm fine with the loss of power off idle.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
Integra DB9
445 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think going for a bigger cam might make it even lumpier unless in the higher end of the rev range.

That said, is this for a road car or a track car?

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I street drive it, no track days planned (i also have an 01 accord and 15 ram ecodiesel to drive if i need more refinement). I am ok with losing a clean idle and off idle power. I mostly suspect that I can get a bit more top end and not lose too much bottom end due to my compression being so much higher than stock. I have read of guys being very happy with the Crane 0012 cam I am running (i am one of them) but it seems most of them were not running as much compression as I am.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
I ran a 0012 and 0016 on the street, got 53 mpg with the 0016, all on stock compression.

Blundell just tossed a tune at it, but you can see where the stock valve springs gave up.

I had idle issues but that was mostly from the Gude TB that the butterfly plate wasn't fitted right.

On a NASA built D16A6 the skunk2 intake was worth 8 whp with some TQ gains as well.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Ive ran both the 0012 and 0016 in my B20. I havent really run any other brands of cams, but i was pretty happy with the results.

The 0012 I used with boost and was impressed as well. They both had an LSA of 108 IIRC so idle was lopey, but the torque curve was impressive.

Unlike bone ^^ up there, I used Cranes springs and retainers

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man if only I could find a 0016 lol

I think I would see some nice increases with it, but finding one is something else.

Right now it looks as if the options are Bisi (not an option), Web Cams, Delta (not going there unless I can get real specs), Colt (the stage 3 or tri flow 2 or a custom grind), and I recently found Cat Cams has 10 grinds for the d16a6.

I have 2 core a6 cams I can use for regrinds, though it appears Cat is producing new cams

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
Rocket Cams.

I'd never run a regrind myself.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought Rocket cams were top secret stuff since its too difficult to just put a place holder on line showing what they can do.

I sent them a message through facebook since that seems to be their means of doing business. I pretty much have given up calling more places...

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rocket responds quickly. He only had a regrind for the a6. I will get it shortly. I might also send a head in at the same time and just call it done with nothing left to do except forged internals...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Rocket responds quickly. He only had a regrind for the a6. I will get it shortly. I might also send a head in at the same time and just call it done with nothing left to do except forged internals...
Robert and the team at Rocket Motorsports do incredible work. I sent them my stock z6 camshaft and they did a stage-4 re-grind. He was very quick to respond to messages (Facebook) and was very helpful even during the build process. I picked up the RM valve springs and Ti retainers as well.

In a ported and polished z6 head I made an additional 26whp over the previous setup (previous: stock z6 head with Bisi level 2, 75.5mm P29). Now I'm making 156whp with more a little more to squeeze out (winter project: better I/H/E).

You're in good hands with Rocket.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
The Tape-R made 130whp/125wtq with an A6 running PG6B pistons, Colt Tri-Flow cam with Isky springs and an adjustable cam-gear and a Z6 intake/TB.

As the Tape-R is an endurance race car, the cam was advanced instead of retarded in order to bump the mid-range and keep the RPM down (6500rpm rev limit). I'm pretty confident if the cam was retarded and the tune was focused toward a "sprint" type environment that it would be closer to the high 140's to low 150's at the wheels.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Tape-R made 130whp/125wtq with an A6 running PG6B pistons, Colt Tri-Flow cam with Isky springs and an adjustable cam-gear and a Z6 intake/TB.

As the Tape-R is an endurance race car, the cam was advanced instead of retarded in order to bump the mid-range and keep the RPM down (6500rpm rev limit). I'm pretty confident if the cam was retarded and the tune was focused toward a "sprint" type environment that it would be closer to the high 140's to low 150's at the wheels.
Was that with a Tri FLow or the Tri flow 2?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have also head cams reground, and head work (porting, etc) done by Rocket Motorsports. They are generally really quick to get back to you via Facebook and answer questions. I personally have been very happy with both their products and their service during and after the sale.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well Rocket had a black Friday sale, the D16a6 stage 4 is coming my way, which means in the near future I will be putting up a Crane 251-0012 up for sale!

I already have the Isky springs in the head, and I put brand new OEM retainers and retainer clips in when i did the springs....I have to decide if I am going to get new lighter retainers or if the new stock stuff is good enough....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The Colt will have a wide powerband. Thats why Colt goes with a tri flow, to allow high RPM flow, and have low RPM swirl to combat slow air movement.

With that being said, D series dont usually like to flow above 7500rpm, so I would aim for a cam that has peak torque around that RPM. Go for as much torque as you can above 5252rpm if you want a nice HP number. Go for as much torque as you can after 3000rpm if you want a fat power band. Crower makes a cam with an INSANE low cam lobe that carries to like 6000rpm, then VTEC takes you to about 7500rpm. Its an option as well.

Your setup sounds promising. It probably doesnt even really need a huge cam to make very good power.

If you have some time and money you can play around with the length and diameter of your intake, and align some harmonics which can give you a very substantial torque boost at different RPM's depending on the length and diameter of the intake. You can see up to 20ftlbs of torque gained, its insane. Google 2nd or 3rd wave harmonics. 20ftlbs at 7500rpm is like 30+hp

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
intake length sounds interesting to play with. I know that the older cold air intake i had was smaller in diameter than the throttle body I wasu using and going to the velocity stack setup i lost about a foot of intake length...

If I end up not liking the Rocket cam I still have another a6 stock core to make use of. The stage 4 rocket cam has about 20-30 degrees more usable duration as well as about 10-15% more lift, which should work well with the compression I have. Right now power is good from about 2k to 7.5k though better tuning could probably improve that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well Rocket had a black Friday sale, the D16a6 stage 4 is coming my way, which means in the near future I will be putting up a Crane 251-0012 up for sale!

I already have the Isky springs in the head, and I put brand new OEM retainers and retainer clips in when i did the springs....I have to decide if I am going to get new lighter retainers or if the new stock stuff is good enough....

Do you mind posting the cost of the cam for us? Any plans of a before and after dyno?

I have heard of nice gains from the b-series cams they offer but for some reason remain skeptical on his business as a whole simply due to the lack of accessibility to RM products. Having to go through FB, no info online or website, no pictures or pricing, etc. When all you get is "contact us for a quote" for me personally it raises a red flag. Not stirring up crap just tired of the tease i usually encounter with the latest and greatest hot mod but no info after install. A recent example for me is the the skunk2 ultra intake. Their website claims lots of dyno testing in development and substantial gains from real world users of intake but no graph or further evidence from said users. Stumbled on a guys build on Instagram using said intake and similarly after stating he was going for a tune did not put up numbers and generally avoids the issue. Again with the tease.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
D15Beast7, early stages AEM CAI vs. Generic 3" SRI, in 1999...you can see the gains from the harmonics and where the come back together at 5200-5300 rpm, but that was without tuning and can be worked around

With kick tuning from Blundell, but biggest Crane cam, TQ curve leveled out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts