Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should start by saying that I ordered all of these parts from Rock Auto. I do NOT place blame on Rock Auto for anything but I feel that the fact that the items cannot be inspected prior to purchasing (as they could be at a local parts store) and that shipping costs are involved negate the cost savings gained from ordering from them.

I ordered the following parts and will detail the problems encountered with each:

(2x) MOOG K9385 - lower ball joints

-Part numbers the same, box art differed, boot design varied greatly (different heights, one had metal retaining clips), 1 ball joint did not have "Moog" branding, included a label which cross-referenced a NAPA brand part.

MOOG K9813 - Front Right Upper Control Arm
MOOG K9814 - Front Left Upper Control Arm

-Packaging was different (one included plastic boot/mounting stud protectors) mounting studs differed in color, bushing appeared slightly different, mounting bracket varied in color.

(2x) MOOG K90123 - Sway Bar links

-Identical

MOOG ES2943R - Tie rod end (Right)
MOOG ES2946L - Tie rod end (Left)

-Ball joint boot design varied (one was taller than the other), end of the link where the ball joint was pressed in was visually different

Now, would all of these parts function similarly when installed? Probably. My problem is all of these small inconsistencies. I don't know about you but when it comes to suspension parts, I want a mirror image on both sides.

I suppose the only thing I want to get across here is that when you order from Rock Auto (and particularly when you order Moog), don't expect your parts to be identical like they are in the pictures. I will likely be returning my entire order and order the parts from NAPA at a higher cost so I can ensure that the parts are consistent between both sides.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I just ordered Bestos Pro Grade balljoints and they both were identical (from Rockauto)

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, debating returning it all and going with Raybestos as well.

NAPA looks like it's significantly more expensive, even with my %15 discount

Curious to know if anyone thinks I'm being too picky about this? Should I expect inconsistencies between sides? Am I out of line here?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
You have to realize the stock probably comes from multiple sources bought in lots as clearance stuff. If you want everything identical your best bet is going to the store where you can look before you buy.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You have to realize the stock probably comes from multiple sources bought in lots as clearance stuff. If you want everything identical your best bet is going to the store where you can look before you buy.
Yeah, I know...that's what bugs me the most. My father actually worked for Federal Mogul for many years and he's told me all the little "secrets".

Proof that a name like Moog doesn't really mean shit because parent companies like Federal Mogul can just rebox stock from other manufacturers that they've purchased and call it their own child brand.

Edit: Doing a little more research, it looks like "Affinia Global Chassis" is the parent company and distributor for Raybestos Chassis parts:

http://www.affiniagroup.com/products/steering-suspension

Who knows if they're any more consistent though

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
It's funny, but I've ran across this selling parts. Moog also has a new "R Series" of "economy" chassis parts they're rolling out, so could've been mixed up somewhere. Federal Mogul makes both brands of seals and bearings we make though one is a National and the other is being relabeled to Driveworks.

I've never had issues with Moog, but I've only used their tie-rod ends and used TRW lower BJ's. I've used Dorman UCA's but the BJ's seem to be sub-par quality IMHO, they tend to strip out...I didn't but two friend's who monkeyed up on them did...I like to torque everything.

Honestly, I'd send them back for another Moog. Most Moog stuff use blue boots. If I can help in anyway just lmk, I work for Advance.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey xotic, I appreciate your willingness to help man. Funny thing is that the part numbers on all the boxes are correct but even the labels are printed in different fonts/formats.

Rock Auto basically told me to re-order the parts that didn't match up, hope for the best, and send back the ones that didn't match up. Fuck that. At $10 shipping each way, I can't afford to be playing around with what-if's and hope-for-the-best's.

I think I'm just gonna try Raybestos and see how that goes. At least that way, I'm only out $20 on shipping

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Try partsgeek.com i switched. I never had issues with rockauto in this way so thats weird. Parts geek always has giving me the correct parts. Fast shipping as well. They have become my go to online parts store over rockauto.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Just watched their product video and I'm sold!

gonna order these tomorrow

Shouldve gone with the raybestos like you said.

sometimes when modding cars, when you try to save a buck, it will cost you 2

·
Registered
FA5, EJ6, ED3
28 Posts
I usually always cross shop with amazon.com when looking for car parts. They're usually the best price and free shipping with $25+ orders. However, it's best if you do research ahead of time and know the exact brand/ part # you want. Also, the amount of time that it takes for you to get the part when using free shipping seems to vary quite a bit - I've gotten stuff within days or about a week depending on the item.

Otherwise, I use advanceautoparts.com and select to pick it up at the store - I prefer advance because of the many coupon codes that I've been able to utilize in the past. I recently got a brand new perfection clutch kit for <90 after taxes.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
So, I just went and opened up both packages.. Looks like I got screwed too!

When the parts arrived, i just glanced at them.. days later i took them to the shop and had a 50/50 chance of opening the other box.. well i didnt open both at the same time and now I have 2 different designs..

I callled RockAuto and the guy tried to say that its the same, just made elsewhere..

I went on to tell him that there was no way of knowign if the "other" LBJ was a gusher bearing type or the Pro Series like I ordered.

So now I have to jump thru the whoops with RockAuto :facepalm:

·
Registered
982 Posts
I should start by saying that I ordered all of these parts from Rock Auto. I do NOT place blame on Rock Auto for anything but I feel that the fact that the items cannot be inspected prior to purchasing (as they could be at a local parts store) and that shipping costs are involved negate the cost savings gained from ordering from them.

I ordered the following parts and will detail the problems encountered with each:

(2x) MOOG K9385 - lower ball joints

-Part numbers the same, box art differed, boot design varied greatly (different heights, one had metal retaining clips), 1 ball joint did not have "Moog" branding, included a label which cross-referenced a NAPA brand part.

MOOG K9813 - Front Right Upper Control Arm
MOOG K9814 - Front Left Upper Control Arm

-Packaging was different (one included plastic boot/mounting stud protectors) mounting studs differed in color, bushing appeared slightly different, mounting bracket varied in color.

(2x) MOOG K90123 - Sway Bar links

-Identical

MOOG ES2943R - Tie rod end (Right)
MOOG ES2946L - Tie rod end (Left)

-Ball joint boot design varied (one was taller than the other), end of the link where the ball joint was pressed in was visually different

Now, would all of these parts function similarly when installed? Probably. My problem is all of these small inconsistencies. I don't know about you but when it comes to suspension parts, I want a mirror image on both sides.

I suppose the only thing I want to get across here is that when you order from Rock Auto (and particularly when you order Moog), don't expect your parts to be identical like they are in the pictures. I will likely be returning my entire order and order the parts from NAPA at a higher cost so I can ensure that the parts are consistent between both sides.

:worthless:

well not useless, but pics would help.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To re-iterate, the problem isn't so much with Rock Auto, it's with the Moog product line (of which Federal Mogul is the parent company).

I got the correct parts (in terms of the part number being correct) and most were in sealed packaging.

From RockAuto's perspective, they were simply matching up the part numbers on the box. No way they could have spotted the differences without opening the box.

For example, these ball joints both have the same part number on the box but that's about the only thing that's the same:

The one outside of the bag was Moog branded, the other was not branded at all and had a sticker that cross-referenced a NAPA brand ball joint for the same vehicle.

Federal Mogul re-boxes/re-brands similar product lines. They're a distributor/manufacturer so they may buy out a company's stock and re brand it as their own OR manufacturer nearly identical product lines for NAPA and MOOG and use them interchangeably despite discreet differences.

It looks like Raybestos is only manufactured by Affina and Affina appears to only sell their suspension/steering components under the Raybestos name:

AFFINIA - Products

Because of this, I feel like the product will be more consistent.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
I think the "Asia Spec" are the newer relabel of Moog parts, but I can call Moog to verify, but it will probably be tomorrow. I know we have some that are like that but I've never opened the box.

I also wouldn't call Moog cheaping out, they're generally very good quality and I rarely see any come back with defects.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Pics, woo hoo!!!!

1000 words. nuf sed!

In my book rock auto is still a good place to go, with the understanding that they are just the retailer and multiple shipping origins may cause issues like this.

PS good review

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See the ball joint in the bag with the label 2601355?

What a coincidence, it's the same part number as the NAPA branded ball joint for the same vehicle.

Moog name doesn't mean much to me anymore.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Alot of part manufacturers make parts for NAPA's brand. FelPro, Wix, and alot more. Which is why I goto Napa over Advanced,autozone, and pepboys.

I called Rockauto and had to take a pic of my different ball joints, they are sending a replacement and was told to keep the oddball LBJ.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dude I just saw your other post, I didn't realize you were in the same boat.

So shit, that puts a dent in my plans to return everything and order raybestos.

Maybe I'll complain a little more about my stuff to them

1 - 20 of 37 Posts