Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a guy from Montana has had his home robbed multiple times. Police believe he set a trap for the robber by leaving his wifes purse exposed in the garage with the garage door open. This man walks into the garage trips a motion detector and the home owner runs out and shoots him.

I left this VERY vague, because depending on what news agency you read, some make the home owner out to be crazy, on dangerous drugs (weed), and a loose cannon. While others make the other guy out to be the villain.

What do you think? BTW - Montana has stand your ground laws AND Castle laws on the books.

Castle Doctrine;
Montana has a castle law with a “stand-your-ground” clause. Under the law, the use of deadly force is permissible to prevent felonies from being committed in one’s home or to protect against assault within one’s home.

The statute reads:

45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.

(2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:

(a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or

(b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.

Here are some links.....
International Trayvon
17-year-old-German-exchange-student-shot-dead-after-trespassing-in-Montana-garage
Police-Drugs-might-factor-Montana-killing

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
from what I would think the homeowner baiting him is illegal as fuk. should he be tried? Yes, no reason to invite trouble in.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Yeah I am with above. The trap part ruined it. He is angry, and confused, and apparently as dangerous as a common criminal. He will be made an example of what not to do. The kid should not have been there but I would have loved to see proof he was the guy committing all the robberies. He has probable cause of leaving the country soon but thats a weak one, more proof is needed, but impossible to gather now.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
sounds to me that by law he is allowed to protect his home with deadly force(in missouri i dont guess you can)

im a bit yes and no on the baiting thing.

one is yes if he did actually bait the person thats messed up. its like he asked him to come into his home so he could shoot him.

at the same time dude who got shot was a thieving scum bag.
heres the deal. dont take what doesnt belong to you. if you fell for the guys bait thats on you. you shouldnt steal stuff. no matter how easy it may seem.

so im on both sides of the fence on this one.

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
I think the baiting is gonna screw the homeowner, as it should.

Doesn't make the thief in the right, but it doesn't justify murder either.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
526 Posts
Stand your ground laws are put into place for personal defense. The thief did not break in, using force. An open garage I would consider the same as and open car, or leaving something in your yard. In Indiana you can only protect yourself and family when you feel your life is threatened, or your home. As an example you can't protect your car from a thief with deadly force. I don't see this holding up, this guy was protecting his garage with deadly force, even if it was an attached garage.

When someone is forcing themselves into your house, whether through locked or unlocked door, you can only assume that person is there to do harm. Now whether you use deadly force is up to your judgement.

In my case I have a 20 ga for the house, ready to rock with riffled hollow point slugs. If you back down from me I probably would not shoot, and just hold your ass for the police, if you continued at me, you are dead.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
^I fully agree; no forceable entry nor deadly force was used. I understand defending your property, but leaving access to it or unattended is just asking for trouble. I cannot believe some home owners in my neighborhood can feel comfortable leaving their garage doors open all night. They're just asking for trouble! Good thing the area is not a bad part of town and at least ALL of my neighbors are packing!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Same situation as the crazy old man a few weeks ago that killed the young guy and girl. It was premeditated murder plain and simple. There's nothing stand your ground about that.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Starting to sound like and echo chamber in here lol. I too am a firm believer in the right to defend life and property, even by lethal means...but when you bait people, that's a step too far.

Even after all that though, you cannot deny that if that stupid kid had stayed out of that mans garage, there is a pretty good chance that kid would still be alive today. If I was to be walking down the street, and glanced in somebodies garage and saw a purse, I would keep on walking...that is to say you could bait me all you want, I won't bite because I am not a shitbag thief. And if a shitbag thief gets shot on site, I am not likely to lose any sleep over it. This homeowner should have been more smart about it, perhaps set the motion detector but not left the door open with a purse visible, just saying

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
here is a similar scenario of some crazy ass dude that kills these teenagers trying to rob his house or do something. pretty creepy. Idiot records the whole thing for some stupid reason too.

full audio of incident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyf-o5WG6PI

for the above incident im ok with. he baited him yeah so what the guy still tried to rob him, at least from what ive read. Baiting him doesn't change the crime, shit police bait criminals all the time.
But who knows what the kid came to the garage for, he could be in need of help

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Setting the trap is not the bad part.
The bad part is shooting to kill without questions.

Maybe the kid was going to ask the guy a question or something.

I got broken into while i was a the house. Some guys where breaking the window out and i woke up and saw them climbing in. I went back to the room and hit my car alarm then call the cops. the dudes left and the cops came in like 2mins or less.

But if i would of had a gun yes i would of shot them because there breaking out the window and climbing into the house.

Now if my garage was open and they just walk in then, No because i dont know what they wont. Could of been asking for a jump start.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
He also told his hair dresser that he was going to wait for the thief to come back and shoot him. Sounds like he was taking pride in all this. But in all reality I won't lose sleep over it, we all know what he was going to do in that garage.

Rant warning/

Now I can tell you from experience that I have had my house broke into repeated times and I called the cops and they fill out a report and nothing ever came of it. I put a hidden camera in my house and found out my neighbor was the one doing it. Called the cops back and gave them a copy of the video of him doing it multiple times. The cops never looked at it they just took it and a month later the cops arrest him after the detectives pressed charges. It isn't long before he gets a hearing and they drop his bail because he couldn't afford bail. He lives across the street and was arrested for breaking into my home and stealing and he was being released right back to his home. Then they reduced the charges from aggravated burglary to criminal trespass because the video didn't show him stealing, only breaking in (he left out the other door, I only had 1 camera on the back door because that was the one getting broke into). So from felony to misdemeanor just like that and then it was just a slap on the wrist. He had been convicted 6 times of aggravated burglary and 8 times with possession of some harsher drugs. My neighbor than started calling the police telling them I was running a dope house because he was mad I had him arrested. Seeing the justice system make every attempt to protect his rights while he was able to completely violate mine was making me regret ever having called the cops.
/endrant

This guy obviously wanted blood but I still feel no empathy to a thief.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
dude was definitely there to steal shit. I don't think anyone seriously thought the kid was in there for any other reason.

(still doesn't make baiting him legal, though)

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
If it was dark then how could he have baited him with a purse anyway?
yea if it was dark in there and he came in. then he was there to steal and needed to be shot.

But these laws are so sutpid.

there was a lady (some months back) Was getting ready for work in the morning. she came down her hall way around 5am and saw a guy there. She shot and killed him.

So this guy broke into her house in the morning and he got shot and killed. But yet she got charged with something.

Tons of cases like this.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Lock the door to the house, remove the release on the garage door so it can't be opened, trapped like a mouse :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cops set people up all the time, what's the difference here? Do go where you don't belong. It's pretty easy. I never go in someone's garage if it's open, I'll yell their means and if no answer I knock on the front door.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
Stand your ground laws are put into place for personal defense. The thief did not break in, using force. An open garage I would consider the same as and open car, or leaving something in your yard. In Indiana you can only protect yourself and family when you feel your life is threatened, or your home. As an example you can't protect your car from a thief with deadly force. I don't see this holding up, this guy was protecting his garage with deadly force, even if it was an attached garage.

When someone is forcing themselves into your house, whether through locked or unlocked door, you can only assume that person is there to do harm. Now whether you use deadly force is up to your judgement.

In my case I have a 20 ga for the house, ready to rock with riffled hollow point slugs. If you back down from me I probably would not shoot, and just hold your ass for the police, if you continued at me, you are dead.
careful with over penetration. turkey load or buck shot will kill without the over penetration. Id like not to have to make sure my neighbors are ok and their neighbors as well

1 - 20 of 65 Posts