1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there I got my z6 for $120

umm I know why it was $120 :pinch:

I am in the process of tearing it down however it will be a "stock+" rebuild. Don't tell my mom that :sweatdrop: the extra money I'll be spending will be our secret.

The build for my head is as follows:
-Cleaned
-Valve Job
-ARP Headstuds
-Stage 1 Bisimoto cam w/ stock springs
-($ permitting) 3-angle valve job
-($ permitting) Port polishing

For the block I am doing:
-Stock rebuild kit from FJ Distributors
-Block cleaned and bored to 75.5mm
-Rods cleaned and checked to be in spec
-Crank cleaned, polished, and checked to be in spec
-PG6 Pistons
-ARP rod bolts

That should give me that little extra oomph over any other bolt-on build and be solid. Also when people ask me what I got under the hood I can say, "aw, nothing just a Z6." Everything should fit together well and I won't need to run a tunable ECU. Obviously if there is anything grossly wrong or unnecessary let me know.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Does a stock OEM head gasket come with that FJ kit?

I know the superkit comes with one thats bad news. Why he hasnt changed that Idk.

Anyways GL on the build +rep

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is going into a 1991 Civic Hatchback. It has a ZC transmission, front and rear sway bars from an Si, and front and rear brakes from an Integra. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks good so far, but just so your aware the pg6 pistons put you well out of "stock ecu" range. You will need to chip and tune for that combo. And if your going that far you'll need a bigger cam to go with the higher compression. Unless you mean pm6 pistons which would be more ecu friendly but still better with a tune. Just some food for thought

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must have gotten things mixed up. I thought the pg6's only bumped compression by about 1 point. That is outside the stock ECU's range? Hmm... I haven't bought anything yet so I will start searching some more.

The hardest part about the rear disk swap was the emergency brake cables.

·
Registered
1991 Civic SI
2,229 Posts
The hardest part about the rear disk swap was the emergency brake cables.
everything else just bolt up? what cables you use? sorry to jack your thread cant wait for progress im doing same build definately gonna follow yours :bigok:

·
Formerly weebeastie
938 Posts
I must have gotten things mixed up. I thought the pg6's only bumped compression by about 1 point. That is outside the stock ECU's range? Hmm... I haven't bought anything yet so I will start searching some more.
Use the Pg6 pistons if you can find them, then order a chipped PM6 from Xenocron with a decent TurboEdit basemap on it. Don't be afraid to tune it or have it tuned. It will be more efficient and faster in the end. Also if you do bump the compression with the pg6's I'd also consider running the Bisimoto level 2 cam if it's the same price. It's still going to idle like stock, but you'll see a lot of difference in performance, plus the bigger cam will bleed off compression at idle. You should still get 30+ mpg as well.

everything else just bolt up? what cables you use? sorry to jack your thread cant wait for progress im doing same build definately gonna follow yours :bigok:
You need e-brake cables from a 90-93 Integra, in fact the rear disc setup from one of those cars will fit completely. I have this setup on mine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Stock z6 is 9.3:1 with pg6 pistons it's 12:1. Def would need to tune an use a bigger cam to take advantage of the comp. If your not looking to dig that much into it I'd suggest some pm6 pistons(usdm d16a6) pistons and mill the head .020 that would put you at 10.5:1 or so which would be the limits of the stock ecu

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Running the cables and bolting them up was the hardest part. The exhaust is in the way.

Stock z6 is 9.3:1 with pg6 pistons it's 12:1. Def would need to tune an use a bigger cam to take advantage of the comp. If your not looking to dig that much into it I'd suggest some pm6 pistons(usdm d16a6) pistons and mill the head .020 that would put you at 10.5:1 or so which would be the limits of the stock ecu
Where would I get some pm6 pistons. I cannot find any... :/

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need a crankshaft and I am having a hell of a time trying to find one, short of getting one from the local junkyard. I don't feel like dropping a tranny and pulling the flywheel and all the other work involved to get the crank out while it is cold and wet here.

·
Registered
1971 VW Super Beetle
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

should i be concerned this is the worst wear on the exhaust rocker arm shaft. pretty much the only wear

1 - 20 of 129 Posts