Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my timing belt let go at like 2500 rpm on my integra today so i now have 2 donor bottom ends for my turbo lsv project possibly. i know swapping cranks block to block is no big deal if you measure and get apropriate bearings but what about connecting rods. i poked around google for like an hour and only saw some shit about saturns. could i mix and match my 8 rods to get the closest 4?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
What do you mean mix and match? as in rods from the same type of engine, just find the 4 closest in weight?

Yes, you can do that, but youre going to have to have everything fully balanced, and most likely youre going to have to bore the engine.
Just slapping en engine together without balancing and checking tolerances is a bad idea. I see people get away with it, but those people are usually blowing engines every other week.

Also, who the hell says swapping cranks block to block is no big deal? They have to be within spec just like anything.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As long as you have appropriate rod bearing clearance your good to go.

To keep the motor in balance all 4 rods should be weighed and balanced. They will probably be pretty darn close, personally i wouldn't worry about it if its just your daily beater, sounds like you just want to slap it together and go.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i figured i could save on having rods balanced if 4 of the 8 b18a1 rods are close enough. i will be measuring, remeasuring and matching my bearing respectivly.
edit: i'll be having the machinist that will be boring the block i choose, checking the cranks and check the rods

1 - 5 of 5 Posts