Honda D Series Forum banner

Miss and valve noise after valve seals!!

875 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  79hilux90crx 
#1 ·
So I decided to not leave well enough alone and change my valve seals on my d16z6 mini me. I changed them with the head on the car with the cylinder full of rope method. I out everything back to get her and fired her up. Now like I said I have a miss fire and a ton of rocker noise. It seems to be cylinder 3 that has the miss as the way the car runs doesn't change much when I pull the plug wire. Ant idea where I could have gone wrong or what I can do to fix the problem? I did change the spark plugs just for grins and it didnt help. Thanks for any help up front.

#2 ·
You didn't leave tools under there did you? lol I have to ask! Pull cover back off and make sure nothing is binding or that keepers/retainers popped out (rare, but I have seen guys not install keepers correctly and this happens during the first crankover. Of course, you usually hear in-cylinder crunching noises as the valve dropped lol.

If you don't hear the crunch crunch of a valve bouncing around freely in the cylinder, you're positive you've set cylinder #3 to TDC while performing the adjustment on #3?

I would definitely yank the cover back off, pull the plug out of the suspect cylinder, insert a LONG piece of straight coat hanger wire or a long ass 1/4" extension and rotate the crankshaft until you have visual confirmation of TDC on that cylinder. Wiggle your rocker arms and see if they are too loose.

If rocker arms are too loose, you will have a misfire and excessive valvetrain noise. From the sound of things, it didn't misfire/make noise until after you did the valve stem seals so definitely head back to the places you touched/disassembled.

#3 ·
Haha, no tools left in there. It purred like a kitten before I messed with it. Although I didnt go back and adjust the valves when I was done. I guess I just assumed I didnt have to because I just unbolted it and put it back. Pulled the cover everything moves freely, even drove it home. I pull the cover back off tomorrow and run 3 up to TDC and see if there is play in the rockers. Do you think I need to just readjust the valves?

#7 ·
^^^ This a million times over.

Why would you take anything apart in the head and not check the lash afterwards?

#9 ·
Hopefully not much damage was caused before you found the cause of the noise.
I wont take long for damage to occur under normal load when things are out of clearance/adjustment.
New wear pattern could occur within a few revolutions/cycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.