Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
D-Series O.G.
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my car running after the fuel pump went out. It's been sitting since late April. I cranked the car and within a few seconds it developed a misfire. I found that the cylinder closest to the timing belt made no change in idle when I pulled the plug wire from the plug. I changed the plugs in the engine. Started it up and there was no change. When I pulled the plug from the cylinder in question it was wet. The other plugs looked fine. I pulled the plug and wire and set it on the engine to ground it and started it . I noticed that the spark is orange. So basically it's a very weak spark. I pulled a wire from my other car which runs great and started the car. It was still missing.

I put my wire back on the engine. Then I pulled the rotor from my other car. Still no change. Finally I looked at the contacts in my cap and they appeared a dark bronze color. I thought possibly a bad connection on the cylinder in question so I used some fine Emory cloth and cleaned it up a little. Put everything back together. No change on the misfire. I ran a compression test on all 4 cylinders and all were between 152-158 lbs. I'm now down to a malfunctioning igniter.

Specs - fully built boosted z6 w/y8 head
MSD cap, rotor, external coil
NGK BKR7E plugs gapped at .026
NOLOGY wires w/ ground straps.
OEM distributor
OEM Ignitor
Fuel pressure at 40psi

I haven't touched injectors because the car has a weak spark not a " no spark" condition. Car ran great during the tune and made power until we list fuel pressure and stopped tuning. I have not let it warm up to see if the misfire goes away. It's got 800cc injectors so I don't want to ruin the rings on the dead hole.

Any ideas?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Honestly man, I had the same issue with my MSD setup. Tossed it in a box, used an OEM style unmodified distributor, made well over 500whp, ran 10s for years, sold the car. Also worth mentioning I wouldnt run anything other than NEW OEM or NGK blues. Ran the engine to 9600rpm.

True story.

Now are you 100% sure that you have fuel going into that cylinder? Because its wet isnt enough for me.

I would go ahead and do a noid light on the injector connector. Does it blink? Good. If not, check wiring and jumper harnesses.

If it does blink, stethoscope the injector, is it clicking? Yes? Does it sound like the other ones? Yes? Check its resistance, does it match the others? Its probably fine. Could be clogged? Perhaps.

Does the spark from the "good cylinders" look the same as the spark at the bad cylinder? IDK why but I am leaning towards a fuel issue to that one cylinder for some reason.

·
D-Series O.G.
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured out the problem. I was working on it last night so I couldn't see much. I went out today and pulled the cap back off to look at the Ignitor and saw that the magnet on the pickup was running into one if the coil wires going to my MSD coil. I rerouted the wires and the miss is gone. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts