Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so for the past couple of days I've been getting a misfire when I start my car and let it idle for a minute before leaving. it doesn't seem to do it in the morning before I leave for work, but in the afternoon when I go to leave work then I get a cel.

I've checked the cel and each time cel 71, 72, 73, and 74. so it says it's misfiring in all 4 cylinders at once.

The car doesn't stuter it runs fine. I was wondering since it's gotten pretty cold in the last week if it's related. I know my dizzy is fairly advanced and was wondering if it could be that the computer is advancing the timing more because it's cold out. Also I haven't gotten it tuned yet, waiting until I get the money, but I know I normally get a cel 45 for running too rich. Could these misfire be related to running rich?

I'm lost, and all of the things I've found on honda-tech all seem to say the injectors are the issue, but all 4 injectors at once doesn't seem right to me.

thanks for any help. I did a full 100k mile tune up back in april/may. all new belts, fuel filter, water pump, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, cam, valve springs, retainers. So all of that should still be good.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rexinre said:
This may be a shot in the dark, but did you try resetting your ecu?

Did you change any of the injectors? What year is your car?
yes I've reset the ecu 4 times now, once a day since monday.

I have not changed the injectors, they're still the stock ones. the car is a 99 ex d16y8

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Have you checked all your wires espically the ones around the injectors to see if they are being shorted? Check your ground wires? Do you have another stock computer that you can try? This may be a dumb question, are all the plug wires in the correct place ie: firing order 1342? Have you looked on the inside of your dizzy cap?

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rexinre said:
Have you checked all your wires espically the ones around the injectors to see if they are being shorted? Check your ground wires? Do you have another stock computer that you can try? This may be a dumb question, are all the plug wires in the correct place ie: firing order 1342? Have you looked on the inside of your dizzy cap?
I know the wires are in the correct order since it's been running for 6 months without changing them.

What grounds are around the injectors? I know they're all clipped on correctly.

I have not removed the cap yet and checked. anything in particular I should look for?

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Any wire on the harness that could have heated up and be grounding out. Anything the could have been spliced or broken... Check your dizzy cap and make sure its wearing normal. Check the roter and all the wires on the inside of your dizzy. Test the resistance on all 3 sensors inside the dizzy.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
I'm also thinking a grounding issue by the dizzy as it's affecting all 4 cylinders/ injectors. Check the wiring harness inside the dizzy cap where it goes in, make sure that the rubber grommet is still good. Check the rotor as well as the pick-ups inside the dizzy cap, the fact that it's doing this on all 4 sounds like something's happening before the rotor.

Let us know.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda4VW said:
Misfire codes...god do I hate these. So many causes, yet so hard to trace down!

Do you have a helms??
yeah I have one that I downloaded.

I retarded the timing a little yesterday and reset the codes again. so far it hasn't come back on, but we'll see. I just have the feeling that it's because the timing was so far advanced then the computer saw cold air and advanced timing more thinking it was misfiring. Damn I need to get this tuned. come on christmas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had this exact same problem last year when it started getting cold when I lived in St. Louis. It did it twice, but I hadn't replaced my cap and rotor since I had the car (99 hatch with 85k), so I did that. Never did come back on after that. I know you said that you have replaced the cap and rotor recently though. My timing was advanced also, and I retarded it a little bit.

Like you said, the car runs fine, it's almost like there's a split second moment when something isn't right with the computer and it throws the codes. I think that's all it is.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
99ekhatch said:
I had this exact same problem last year when it started getting cold when I lived in St. Louis. It did it twice, but I hadn't replaced my cap and rotor since I had the car (99 hatch with 85k), so I did that. Never did come back on after that. I know you said that you have replaced the cap and rotor recently though. My timing was advanced also, and I retarded it a little bit.

Like you said, the car runs fine, it's almost like there's a split second moment when something isn't right with the computer and it throws the codes. I think that's all it is.
yeah, I forgot to mention that pulled the cap off and the cap and rotor to seem to be wearing normally, they have some white spots from spraking on them, but they're not bad at all. the rubber gasket is still good. If I have time tomorrow I might check the ignitor and coil. it's hard to find time to work on your car when you work two jobs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
just a thought, but when mine did that, it was the plugs. I replaced all 4 plugs and then it was fine.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
achilles1981 said:
just a thought, but when mine did that, it was the plugs. I replaced all 4 plugs and then it was fine.
I thought about that. but could 4 plugs really go bad in 6k miles?

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
d16a6 power said:
Ok so whats your set up? The misfires could be because of running rich.Maybe your plugs are a little fouled.
CAI, 60mm tb, edelbrock IM, crower stg 1 cam, dc 4-2-1 header, magnaflow high flow cat, apexi ws2 exhaust. All on the stock ecu.

·
Registered
429 Posts
gftgrill said:
I thought about that. but could 4 plugs really go bad in 6k miles?
worth a look? probably one of the easiest and cheapest things to fix. i usually start with the cheap/easy stuff and work from there. just my .02

·
Registered
910 Posts
OBD2 is kinda touchy and might be picking up a slight misfire because of the mods you have and maybe the change in temperature is doing it. OBD2 computers are strict because they are just trying to protect the catalytic converter so they might pick up slight things caused by the mods. Maybe in the afternoon your car slighty warm but still cold and it has some mixture problems creating the misfire. I think if its running correctly still just leave it alone fore now. Check the basics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts