Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ALL, I have a 94 hatch with a very strong and healthy 1.5 in it. I'm wanting to do something to make my car faster and I've considered throwing a d16 head on my 1.5 so I'll have vTEC or possibly just swapping out for a d16 all together. i'd appreciate any input on this matter i can get. thanks!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
Civic
1,281 Posts
It really depends on your budget and what you plan to do in the future. The mini-me is a great upgrade IMO, but with the 1.5 block the rods are too weak for a turbo if boosted more than 5-6 PSI. I say go mini-me if your motors healthy.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah mini me's run really well no probs with mine yet

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
umm.. this isn't what I'd consider serious discussion... belongs in the tech or even better party BS forum

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats involved?

I was wondering what all is involved with putting a d16 head on my d15 block and what kind of oil modifications i need to make? Any feedback would help alot.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
do the mini me, you don't have to pull the engine. and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
Civic
1,281 Posts
take the head off the d15b7, make sure the gasket surface is clean, then take out the oil jet for the old head, put a new headgasket on bolt on the head, run two vtec wires to the vtec ECU or the like and you are good to go. Ill look for the write-up on Honda-tech.com and post it up. Hope this helps.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do the mini me if u wanna go all motor but if your planning to boost the d16z6 is your best bet, or stay with the b7 for boost, but if u do the mini me, heres how id do it if i could go back...

-d16z6 head, dizzy and intake mani
-headgasket
-aem cam gear (mini-me's run about a half tooth off
-ex timing belt (d16z6)
-apexi vafc (for vtec controll and fuel map control)

i would use your stock p06 ecu, use the vafc to tune the air/fuel since the p28 is made for a d16z6 i dont think it wrks all that well with a 1.5 block and vtec head, its still ghetto no matter how u cut it, a vafc for tuning and your vtec ponit set 4800-5000 would be great, and adjust the fuel to 0 from 0-4800 then step the fuel up for vtec, and maybe chip the ecu later for a higher rev limit, but i dont think thats necessary since the mini-me will peak power lower than the z6, this is just my 2 cents, but i think going p28 and is stupid, and your running a motor with a 1.5 block with a ecu made for a 1.6

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
yup do the mini me.. take ur time looking for heads tho... jarvis basically summed it up for u. use bauley's civic write up on honda-tech...and make sure u get that aem cam gear and the vafc.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
most costly???

about how much is that AEM cam gear and the VAFC??? On the write up about the swap on Honda-TECH it says to use the P28 computer so should I or not?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
yes use the p28.. the apexi vafc is about 360 retail.. but u can find a used for for less then 200 bucks.. my friend has a vafc he could get rid of for probably around 180 plus shipping....the aem cam gear used will probably be around 50-60 bucks.. new around 100-120

1 - 17 of 17 Posts