Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok noob question time and before I get flamed I’ve been researching for a long time and still can’t get a clear answer on this… so I got a d16y8head ,intake, dizzy, harness and ecu for $350 from del sol 97, however once it arrived I realized it’s all obd2, my plan was to do a mini me on my d15b2 which is obd0
I’m wondering what I have to do to make this work? Is there a way to bypass the unnecessary extra sensors? Or should I use the obd2 harness and an obd1 jumper then just cut all the unnecessary sensor wiring and buy an obd1 ecu? Would that even work ? Or would I still get cel? Could I run obd2 equipment(ie intake, dizzy, injectors)on the obd1 ecu?
Has anyone figured this out?
Any advice would be great, btw I live in Europe so it’s quite hard to find any d16 vetch parts…
Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered and I couldn’t find it…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok noob question time
And before I get flamed I’ve been researching for a long time and still can’t get a clear answer on this… so I got a d16y8head ,intake, dizzy, harness and ecu for $350 from del sol 97, however once it arrived I realized it’s all obd2, my plan was to do a mini me on my d15b2 which is obd0
I’m wondering what I have to do to make this work? Is there a way to bypass the unnecessary extra sensors? Or should I use the obd2 harness and an obd1 jumper then just cut all the unnecessary sensor wiring and buy an obd1 ecu? Could I run obd2 equipment(ie intake, dizzy, injectors)on the obd1 ecu?
Has anyone figured this out?
Any advice would be great, btw I live in Europe so it’s quite hard to find any d16 vetch parts…
Thanks in advance

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,836 Posts
use the sensors from your car and swap the head and intake. gut your dist and put it inside the y8 and re time it.

Reactions: Mr.civic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean that I shouldn’t swap the harness or ecu? just keep running obd0 ? I don’t think it will work first off car is still dpfi and non vtec… do you think it would be better to rewire my harness and figure out a way make it all run on obd1?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I think I figured it out, but please someone correct me if I’m wrong, I should forget about obd0 to obd2a
And I should buy:

obd0 to obd1 jumper harness and new obd1 ecu any suggestions would be great but I’m guessing a p28 from an earlier model?
The one I have now is p28-G03 edm.

Wire in mpfi

Aem adjustable cam gear

The throttle body and distributor from b7 or something along those lines again any suggestions on something that’s better?

Use intake manifold from y8
Can I use the injectors as well?

4 wire o2 sensor

Head gasket from y8

and then probably a few more things I’m forgetting… does this sound just about right?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,379 Posts
Yes an obd1 p28 is your best bet to just drop in, but you could use a chipped p06 as well if you plan on tuning immediately, i think the td42u is the distributor you want so it lines up without issues and needing to open slots up, the obd2 injectors will run it, but not well until it's tuned. Also, depending on weather the y8 setup was manual or auto there may be some iacv stuff to work around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes an obd1 p28 is your best bet to just drop in, but you could use a chipped p06 as well if you plan on tuning immediately, i think the td42u is the distributor you want so it lines up without issues and needing to open slots up, the obd2 injectors will run it, but not well until it's tuned. Also, depending on weather the y8 setup was manual or auto there may be some iacv stuff to work around.
Thanks for your reply! What engine is td42u from? Is there a reason why injectors won’t work well? Is it about the cc rate vs obd1 ecu ? How much do you think it would cost to tune?
It is manual and my car is manual too… I have the original harness that came with the head and intake can I just splice the intake and injectors into obd0 harness?
thanks again for you’re help

·
Registered
00 EJ6 boosted D16Z6, 99 EJ6 bone stock, 04 Ram 1500
1,110 Posts
unfortunatley, the td42u only fits the obd1 d16z6 or db15b(vtec) p08 head.
the mounting bolts won't line up on an obd2 head.
that's why slo_eg8 suggested taking the 'guts' out and putting them in the original(y8) distributor casing.
also, the td42u has 2 plugs unlike the 1 that the obd2 distributors use (that fit the y8 head).
obd0 honda ecus use low impedence injectors while obd1 and obd2 use high impedence injectors.
low impedence injectors can be used with obd1 and obd2 ecus, but you need a resistor box (to bring up the impedence).
i am not sure how to make it work the other way around...
also, just wondering... how many valves does your d15b2 have, 8 or 16? i believe the 8v was carborated

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply!!
Yah I thought I read somewhere that the z6 distributor wouldn’t work but someone said b7 should fit fine just plug and play, I currently have td40u could I gut it and put insides in y8 distributor like sloeg8 said? To save some cash…
And I need a resistor box to run the obd2 injectors? Would it be better/ cheaper to find obd1 intake manifold with the right injectors? Man the list of parts keeps growing and growing
The car is what they call dpfi/ programmed carb, it has two injectors and 16valves… D15b2 92 civic 1.5lsi, I think it’s only edm. But close to your 88-91 civic. seems as though America was on obd1 at that point and stepping away from carb into injectors.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,339 Posts
Thanks for your reply!!
Yah I thought I read somewhere that the z6 distributor wouldn’t work but someone said b7 should fit fine just plug and play, I currently have td40u could I gut it and put insides in y8 distributor like sloeg8 said? To save some cash…
And I need a resistor box to run the obd2 injectors? Would it be better/ cheaper to find obd1 intake manifold with the right injectors? Man the list of parts keeps growing and growing
The car is what they call dpfi/ programmed carb, it has two injectors and 16valves… D15b2 92 civic 1.5lsi, I think it’s only edm. But close to your 88-91 civic. seems as though America was on obd1 at that point and stepping away from carb into injectors.
If the injectors are from the Y8, no resistor box needed. These should be saturated type/high resistance. A P06/P28 OBD1 ECU will run them straight.

None of the D injectors in stock form, at least from 1992 and up, need a resistor box. It was only when you wanted to run certain higher flowing prelude, OE DSM's or other peak and hold/low resistance injectors that you needed a resistor box.

Before injector companies started coming out with really high flow rate saturated injectors, peak and hold injectors were the most commonly used to achieve stable control with high flow rates.

Injector tech caught up, and while peak and hold are still the most precise in terms of control over a wide range, specifically at idle/low RPM, large saturated injectors are now really really good.

This has reduced the need for most folks to run an injector box on most new builds, since engine builders can simply source high flowing saturated injectors and drop them in without needing a resistor box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there an obd0 mpfi plus vtec engine harness that already exists? I’m not scared or splicing and de pinning / re pinning mine… but Sweden is pretty strict so I’m probably going to have to swap everything back and forth before the yearly inspection, so I was thinking for ease I’d buy another obd0 harness and keep the one I have with the head and manifold in the garage.
Thanks for everyone’s help, I’m new to Honda and mechanics haha, started working on cars a couple years ago… and my other cars have almost zero wiring and no ecu (1969 Opel rekord c) hahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.