Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
i'm planning on a minime and read something about taking a layer off multilayered head gaskets.
i have a brand new 3rd party 3 layer metal H/G (black layer/silver layer/black layer) and was wondering if its worthwhile pulling it appart to remove the middle layer for increased compression.
cheers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i thought it seemed a bit dodgy, i just remember a thread that said something about 2 layer gaskets v 3 layer gaskets and that 3 layers is thicker than stock = lower compression than normal :(
dam i wish i could find the thread!
whats an oem head gasket look like?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks chris. looks pretty similar.
i haven't pulled my head off yet but at least now i know which way up it goes ;):TU:

btw: is that 3 layers? 2 black with the silver layer in the middle?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Don't remove the middle layer! It will fuck up your engine's cooling, other cylinders running too cold and others too hot. There's a good reason for those holes being a lot smaller in another end.

·
Registered
259 Posts
for custom thickness, pay $20 more and get a "cometic" headgasket. You can get them to be thinner than a hacked up "2layer" HG, and in that department, you dont wanna be sloppy as you will pay a much greater price in the long run.

·
Registered
315 Posts
thanks chris. looks pretty similar.
i haven't pulled my head off yet but at least now i know which way up it goes ;):TU:

btw: is that 3 layers? 2 black with the silver layer in the middle?
Ye mate thats a 3 layer one direct from Honda, will try find the part number later and post it up

Chris ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts