Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching for the past few weeks lately, and am still as undecided as I was in the beginning.

I am trying to decide between the two. I have read the ram horn doe smore top end but the log has quicker spool time. I havent been able to find much info on the mini ram other than people say it "should" be a happy medium since its the best of both worlds.

Does anyone have any experience with both of these? I would like some real world experience and some dyno proof would be awesome.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Which ever has better wastegating and a better collector... And better runner design.
It's hard to get a good comparo, since it depends on so many things.
What turbo your using and what goals you have, to begin with.

Something about the wastegate positioning on most manifolds just irks me for some reason.

Honda ran what looks like a mini-ram on the RA168E....
....but that's such an entirely different beast we can't compare it to anything 'modern'.
http://formulatotal.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/honda_ra168e_engine_honda_collection_hall.jpg?w=655&h=626

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on later on being able to have room to grow without spending a lot later one. Everything else I have other than turbo makes me capable of exceeding the 300whp make.

I have a Edelbrock cast mani right now but its the wrong flange and I would rather not have a adapter to run the t3.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Id good with the mini ram. will help the turbo spool sooner than the ramhorn. thats what your going to want when doing stuff like autox, that and its just a blast to drive with a fast spooling turbo..

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love a fast spooling turbo. The t25 I had on there started spooling at 2200 to 2500 and was at full boost (10psi) by 3000. I want this t3 to be similar. It does have a .48ar turbine so I know it will spool quick just not sure how quick.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which ever has better wastegating and a better collector... And better runner design.
It's hard to get a good comparo, since it depends on so many things.
What turbo your using and what goals you have, to begin with.

Something about the wastegate positioning on most manifolds just irks me for some reason.

Honda ran what looks like a mini-ram on the RA168E....
....but that's such an entirely different beast we can't compare it to anything 'modern'.
Showed pic rather than link.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
out of the two mentioned, id go with the mini. but for what you are saying, id just go with a cast on the real. eww @ .48 lol

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I was under the impression it was a 60trim .60/.63 but once I received it come to find out it was a 60 trim .60/.48 but hey atleast it will spool quick. I can always upgrade later on and since it was a free turbo I cant beat it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Yeah if its free then id take it haha. Id prolly sell her or trade for my bigger likings tho!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I want my turbo to get intake from driver side because easier to run IC pipes to the front mount but I dont like how far the turbo sticks out from the motor if I used my Edelbrock with a adapter.

I also have a Holset H1c I have been tossing up the idea of running with a quick spool valve.

I seen a quick spool valve on one of the forums forsale the other day for like 200. Has anyone seen it and know where its at? I might be interested in it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mini-rams are easier to build, just make sure you have a good oil drain angle. I also like how the turbo is tucked up tight to the block when you face the compressor to the passenger side. Ramhorns look killer though, i bought a diy kit from RCautoworks and i got it all tacked together and it was a pain in the ass to build, you need like 6 hands to hold shit to mock it up and another guy to hold your turbo. First manifold ive built however.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I've been thinking of the whole quick spool thing. And how a quick spool valve might negate the benefit of use a twin-scroll turbo.

Wouldn't you have to open the valve (so both 'scrolls' get gases) AS the turbo is spooling?
So use on scroll (valve closed) to get the turbo spinning, then at a certain point when/just before there is too much exhaust flow/pressure for one side, open the valve so both sides get flow?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts