Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trying to finish up my build and the drain is one of the things on the list. Im running a custom MiniRam with a garrett .60/.63-57 trim set up on a z6 with moroso oil pan. The issue is achieving "downhill" drainage... if i use the high bung it WILL back up. My question is, Is it safe to use the bottom one? I know that when tapping a miata oil pan they tell you to tap it on the bottom edge... Please Help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
The bottom one is probably too low. Why not plumb it into the top of the kick out?

·
Registered
472 Posts
^huh.

Hate to day it but pull your pan and fill it with x amount of water and see where the level sits. That'll decide your lowest point.

You can click the center cartridge, garrett says not to go past 15* off vertical. I have a similar issue with my forward facing manifold having a sufficient drain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill see what I can figure out tonight. I have a handful of fittings and line sizes and such as. Ill post up my findings

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its a bit of a myth saying your drain needs to be above oil level. Oil is "fluid" and won't back up like a solid, like sand or something. It can foam up a bit, but usually the problem is actually crankcase pressure trying to vent itself through the center section... we've done many setups with drains far below the oil level.

We've put "T"'s in the drain line before and ran a heat resistant line (thin steel line if its near manifolds, heat, etc) to the catch can, or just upwards and capped with a filter, and the pressure can then vent before it gets to the CHRA of the turbo

A tiny bit of crankcase pressure can make a GIANT smoke show

·
Registered
129 Posts
The current pan-level of the oil is also how high it will be in the drain...... is what I'm trying to say/type. I only browse on phone, so typing isn't as fun. Hah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts