Honda D Series Forum banner

Mini Mod - Vtec Light

14K views 57 replies 24 participants last post by  flyn2low 
#1 · (Edited)
have been wanting to do this mod for a few months now but havent so it was raining out today so I went to the shack and picked up a few parts. The reason I wanted to do this is you can hardly tell when the VTEC engages on the sohc vtec engine.

Tools Needed:
Soldering Iron
1/4 Drill bit (check your holder before drilling to ensure tight fitment)
Wire Cutters, Phillips Screw driver.

Parts Needed:
Parts from Radio Shack:
Package of 330 OHM resistors Part# 271-1113
5mm LED of your choice, I choose a Blue on Part# 276-311
Roll of 18-gauge wire (solid core part# 278-1223 )
Snap-in LED mount Part# 276-079
Heat Shrink Tubing Part# 278-1627B ( I already had some )
Tap-in clips Part# 64-3052

Notes:
This should work on any vtec motor any year. The pin from the ECU is the only thing that may vary, It should always be Green with a Yellow stripe.

Solider the two wires to the two leads from the LED (the longer of the two leads is the positive lead The shorter lead is the ground.) Solder the resistor in line with the ground wire

Make sure that the wire is long enough to reach from the mounting location to the right side of the passenger seat near where your right foot would be if you were in the passenger seat).

Figure out where you are going to mount your LED and drill a 1/4" hole.
Put one of the snap-in LED mounts into the hole that you made. Next insert the LED from behind, into the snap-in connector (you will feel a little click when it is in all the way). I used my cluster so here is a picture of what I did. I drilled a 5/16 hole in the back of the cluster on the side that has the trip odometer reset on and a 1/4in hole on the cluster bezel see pics below. If you do it this way be very careful not to drill a hole into the ribbon cable.

Run the cable to the ECU location (near the right foot area of the passenger side). Take out the two plastic retainers for the ECU cover and pull off the cover ( it may take some force, but it wont break).
Unplug the two plugs that are closest to you on the bottom of the ECU (there are a total of three plugs, but you don't need to unplug the third). On the furthest plug of the two (the one for my car is Grey), locate the VTEC signal wire (Green with a yellow stripe).

Once you find the VTEC wire, attach the positive lead from the LED to it using one of the tap-in clips. If you look under the glove box in the same side as the ECU, you will see a phillips screw, You can strip off some of the ground lead and attach it to this screw. reattach the ECU plugs and put everything back together and test it out.

Here goes my final product along with a video :lol: yes I said video:
Video Link: http://webpages.charter.net/noeladams/newvteclight.MPG
Right Click Save As Please
You may need to install the divx codec to view video.

See less See more
#5 ·
Definately a great write-up of the whole process! Pics were a great addition!

Reactions: 9295EJ-t
#26 ·
Overclockmyshyt said:
well 4 hours i worked on trying to get this to work in my car......then i finally gave up....7 bucks in the trash litereally...Im assuming this dosent work on a 97 HX?????

you must have messed up on the wiring or something, the only reasons it wouldnt works is:

1. Check the wiring.
2. the engine has to be at operating temp.
3. I think the car has to be in motion.
4. Check your oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.