Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have a 2000 civic dx with a d16y7 and i am going to do the mini-me swap and then put a turbo in it...i plan on running the turbo with around 6 to 8psi...what should i do to the head (d16y8 head) so that i don't run in any problems when the turbo is going (pistons, valves, rods) ?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
you should just get new internals to be safe..... thats wat i would do i have a mini me d16y8 head and JDM d15b block and im goin to turbo let me know wat set up ur goin to use

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
If you'll only be running 6-8 lbs you should be good on stock internals however I'd recommend that you get ARP head studs and use the metal y8 gasket during reassembly. If increasing the boost is in the plans for later, depending upon your power goals, I'd also pick up some vitara pistons w/ JE rods which you can get on ebay for a little under 500$. With those internals, you'll be good for up to 400 w/ a good tune.

As for the headwork, an easy mod you can do yourself is to put on the IM gasket and mark where the metal is exposed inside the gasket w/ a marker. After you do that, take a dremel and remove the casting ridges. This will help the flow into the cylinder head a bit and if you stick your finger into the ports of the IM you'll feel a slight ridge that can also be smooth out to reduce resistance to the flow. If you're a bit overzealous like myself, I also remove the valves and remove all obstructions inside the ports but remove as little additional material besides that.

GL on the build at any rate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
10psi ftw! Ive been running that for a while now and I have no issues. Definately would do the headstuds and hg while you have it all apart tho since that will definately add some piece of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts