Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked over many threads about mini-me swaps and I just have one question about throttle bodys. Im going to be putting a 5-speed Y8 IM on my Y7 Head before I do the mini-me. Im wondering if I can use the Y7 TB for both applications. I realize I need to use the 3-wire IACV on the Y7 Throttle body when I do the IM swap running the Y7 ECU. The Y8 IM also came with the 2-wire IACV on the back. When I do The Mini Me, Can I just not use Y7 IACV on the throttle body, Do the 3-2 wire conversion and plug into the Y8 IACV on the back of the manifold while still using the Y7 TB. Or will I have to take the Y7 TB off and slap the Y8 on. The only issue Im thinking of is coolant routing.
Thanks in advance,
Barry

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
I wanted to do a Mini-me but I decided to skip the Mini-me and just swap intake manifolds:td:

I have 5spd y7 and I used a Automatic y8 IM. I kept my y7 Throttle but just swapped rotters from a y8 Throttle Body.
Here's my Swap...
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98788

If you do your Mini-me later, you will need to swap to the y8 Throttle Body and I think you'll need to do that 3-2 wire conversion and plug into the Y8 IACV on the back of the manifold.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone but its usually not that simple.. No big deal, Ill just have to scrape more gasket and buy a new Y8 TB gasket when I do the Mini Me.
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know doing the Mini Me and IM swap would make sense doing together but I need to have my prelude on the road at the same time just in case i screw it up.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
I know doing the Mini Me and IM swap would make sense doing together but I need to have my prelude on the road at the same time just in case i screw it up.
LOL. It shouldn't be that bad. I say just stick the IM swap and stay Non-Vtak:td:

How much ponies does the Mini-me give you anyway? Not Much.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When V-Tec is engaged, your looking at 15-20 hp gain. I would say thats pretty good bang for your buck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
thats right bearmister, lol, anyways can you tsake a few pics of it when you are doing this.
iam about to do mine too. the guy that i bought the vtec head i think he shave it. do i need a shorter screws? or can i just cut the ones that i have ?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Ive looked over many threads about mini-me swaps and I just have one question about throttle bodys. Im going to be putting a 5-speed Y8 IM on my Y7 Head before I do the mini-me. Im wondering if I can use the Y7 TB for both applications. I realize I need to use the 3-wire IACV on the Y7 Throttle body when I do the IM swap running the Y7 ECU. The Y8 IM also came with the 2-wire IACV on the back. When I do The Mini Me, Can I just not use Y7 IACV on the throttle body, Do the 3-2 wire conversion and plug into the Y8 IACV on the back of the manifold while still using the Y7 TB. Or will I have to take the Y7 TB off and slap the Y8 on. The only issue Im thinking of is coolant routing.
Thanks in advance,
Barry
your going to have to get a y8 throttle body... or else its not gonna idle that well... because the y8 throttle body has a FICV..

but i say just do everything at once

1 - 10 of 10 Posts