Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been reading several forums and found one really good one I'm going to follow for my mini me swap. I have a 97 civic with a y7, and I am buying y8 heads intake and ecm from a friend so I can do the swap. My main question is while I'm this far into the engine, are there any good cams to look into getting to boost hp? I'm staying NA and would like it to be a little faster, not race car status but just fun to drive. I have heard about 272 and 282 grinds, but I would prefer to buy a cam right out. And I believe I would need a cam gear as well, the y8 timing belt and all that, and I have read a fuel pressure regulator is good as well. I am planning to take this y8 head to the machine shop and have it ported and rebuilt, is there anything else that can be done easily, cheaply, or even a little down the road to increase the horsies? I have headers and carbon fiber cold air intake right now, so with the y8 bolt ons I am hoping to be anywhere around 130-150hp. And I'm sure the right cam would make that goal if not exceed it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Here's a thread I found that should answer all your questions. I/H/E + cam should have no issues making the power you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read through that forum, It seems bishimoto was the best bet but are they still around? Their website won't load for me.
Compcams has one camshaft available pretty cheap, I doubt it will bring as much power as another option. And the skunk2 option is way out of my budget and apparently not as good power wise anyways. I'm going to check out crower and see what I can find there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, it looks like Bisi stopped making cams for it. I'm having the same problem with my F right now. He used to make a ton of parts for the f22 but it seems to have dried up a bit.

I'd also check the "for sale" part of the forum. There's usually a decent amount of d16 stuff for sale. I'll share if I find anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it looks like Bisi stopped making cams for it. I'm having the same problem with my F right now. He used to make a ton of parts for the f22 but it seems to have dried up a bit.

I'd also check the "for sale" part of the forum. There's usually a decent amount of d16 stuff for sale. I'll share if I find anything.
Preciate it man, I just got home, got the y8 head intake and ecm, going to send the head and intake to the machine shop and have them ported polished decked cleaned and rebuilt, going to start collecting everything else I need. Either going to settle with this compcam as it's pretty cheap and probably better than stock, but if I cant find something else i may also consider sending this one to be ground. I dont know much about cams, but I read a lot of people run 272 or 282, whatever that means.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pretty sure it measures lift. The higher the number, the lumpier the idle. Typically you make higher power with a higher lift can but you’ll sacrifice its ability as a daily, but 272 and 282 should be fine. Anything higher than that may be a bit too rough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts