Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting, about to start ordering parts for a mini-me swap. I have a '98 d16y7 with cold air intake, decent exhaust system and a few other new oem parts to keep everything running smooth. I am not looking to race or achieve crazy hp, just to have a lively n/a daily driver.

I have found a number of threads on how to complete the swap, but I am still hesitant to take it on being that I am a backyard mechanic noob and this will be my first time popping off the head of an engine. What I am looking for is some advice on which brands might be better for certain parts, and also any personal experiences related to this project.

Parts list:
d16y8 vtec head
d16y8 gasket set (oem or aftermarket?)
d16y8 timing belt
new water pump
new ecu (p28 or p2p?)
original block milled, polished, ported

Questions:
Can I still use my existing intake manifold from the y7 on the y8 head?
I have no catalytic convertor since I have the downpipe from an ex on my lx...with the new ecu, will the car be able to pass emissions after the swap?

After this project is finished, I do plan to upgrade the cam, flywheel and transmission to get the most out of these upgrades (and potentially some piston/block work if funds allow for it)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stick to oem gasket/seals imo

P28

Don't see why you couldn't use the IM

Need a cat

Obviously it's your personal choice but IMO if your going to put this kind of work into the block you should just go with a full swap y8,a6,z6

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
d16y8 gasket set (oem or aftermarket?) - OEM
new ecu (p28 or p2p?) - chipped P28 for that additional flexibility when you perform further upgrades that demand something more than a stock tune

work on your oil pump to make it flow better, too, or just get a Z6 oil pump. and if possible, use a Z6 crank. better lubrication.

·
Registered
1998 lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stick to oem gasket/seals imo

P28

Don't see why you couldn't use the IM

Need a cat

Obviously it's your personal choice but IMO if your going to put this kind of work into the block you should just go with a full swap y8,a6,z6
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I will certainly rebuild/replace the block in time, but my time and funds are pretty limited at the moment. Big upgrades on a daily driver are tricky...

Would an oem timing belt be the best option on this build?
Can anybody suggest a good tuner in DFW?

Also, I will soon be putting some lightly used koni yellows on, and I was curious what springs and swaybars would pair well with konis, and also be durable. (will be making a long trip soon with much weight in the car)

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
you can use the y7 IM, but not if you expect anything better than stock performance. Building a vtec mini and putting an Im for nonvtec on it wont kill it but...

it will kill some power ampage.

try to find a y8 IM if you can, port match it.

also? get a z6 cam if you can, and get an ADj gear.

you can get all OEM parts and do just fine. Dont need AEM for this build.

·
Registered
Aztec Green EJ2
53 Posts
The y7 IM is the worst thing to put on an engine to limit its efficiency.
In my opinion you would see better results if you were to change the transmission for a shorter one rather than just swap the head and ruin potential with the y7 IM.

Since the Y8 IM is like the "Type-R" manifold of the D-series you should include it in your build. Not hard to find and usually offered with when buying a y8 head.
I also suggest a P28 obd1 conversion because of it's tremendous tuning capabilities over the Obd2.

What part of your block do you wish to port? never heard of that besides the oil returns.

No cat = no pass...

·
Registered
1998 lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That write up on JDM was my motivation to undertake this project...good call, glad to see someone else found that as reliable!

The more I look into doing the mini-me swap, the more I want to be patient, save up more money and do a full engine swap. My engine as of now runs fairly well, and the transmission is alright...there is something very enticing about starting from scratch, handpicking each and every part and building a brand new engine on the side, not worrying about if it will be ready to drive to work the next day. So for now...upgrading the suspension that will carry a new engine in time!

Thanks for the advice guys, feel free to throw in your 2 cents on what engine/head/transmission combo would potentially be fastest! (and n/a)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Without a catalytic converter, it won't pass the emissions test (in some states).
most states it will , cali not being one of them , but i would think you shouldnt have any problem as long as your o2 sensors are in an functional

1 - 14 of 14 Posts