Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 del sol si
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my situation: I have a 1997 honda del sol si trim with a d16y8 that just developed rod nock ( currently running thick oil to keep her running for the present). From the reading I have done here I found that one of my cheapest options would be to do a d15b7 lower end with the head from my nocking y8. I picked up a used b7 that I am preparing to tear apart and rebuild but that is not what I am curious about.
Question: Since I am keeping everything in the head stock to the y8 I thought that I could use my stock obd2 ECU. Is this true or do I have to start looking at an obd1 conversion/chipped ECU?
I was trying to do this as cheap as possible and was not planning on doing any of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you should be able to keep the y8 ecu. might not run the best but i dont see why it wouldnt work. or if you want OBD1 you can use a b7 dizzy and rewire the dizzy harness

i personally hate OBD2 and the y-series bottom ends so...

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
415 Posts
You might run a tad rich with not enough advance, but those can be tuned out with a base timing adjustment and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator if its bad enough to be annoying.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,033 Posts
what about the knock sensor its going to be looking for? or the ckf?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
415 Posts
I didn't think about the knock, but dosent the ckf bolt to oil pump? Just need to use the right oil pump and crank gear, though come to think of it I think I may have had to do something with the key way on the crank gear or something... ill have to dig though paperwork.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Verify you have the knock sensor by looking underneath the car, abvoe the oil filter. The 97 cars generally did not have the knock sensor, so you might be okay.

The D15B7 bottom end is a perfectly okay match to do, as it will have higher compression and make up for the slight displacement difference. 0.1 liters is easily accounted for when you are adding a point of compression or more.

google "zeals compression calculator" if you want to see numebrs that are fairly close to real. These numbers do not account for any wear, tear, or rebuild tolerances.

also, with the D16y8, you might be able to simply drop the oil pan and replace the bearings. Start with the #4 cylinder rod bearings and that side main bearing. It gets eaten first usually.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
If you DO have the knock sensor, there is a location on the d15b7 block you can drill out slightly and thread for the knock sensor. It is not a perfect palcement, but it will satisfy the ecu as long as you do not have any misfires

·
Registered
97 del sol si
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help and information everyone, it is good to feel like I am not going into this alone and clueless!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts