Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the story I had a Mini me swap in the car to begin with. threw a rod replaced the bottom end. The car runs but there are some issues. Delayed acceleration, Bogging down, Cutting off at stop lights or signs.
I was told it's my timing or my fuel delievery.
Well fuel worked fine before.
So I'm going with #2 timing, right now it is timed top dead center. I have been told that is wrong for a mini me swap. If anyone knows the answer please tell me.
I have been told I need to advance 1 tooth, advance 2 teeth or even 2 degrees. Then some dork at autozone told me between 5 and 10 degrees is good.

I JUST NEED A REAL ANSWER!!!!
I'm open to anything, wanna tell me something? go ahead. Please:(

·
Registered
891 Posts
What mini-me combo and there are more than a few folks with this issue everyday. Make sure you have the mechanical timing correct first. 14-16*BTDC on the crank or something like that with the cam gear "UP".

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the vtec silinoid and it's hard wired into the ECU. Wierd all i know is it worked before.

·
Registered
891 Posts
got the vtec silinoid and it's hard wired into the ECU. Wierd all i know is it worked before.
You mean the new setup ran fine and then you had the issues arise or the head was in working order before the install. Also what do you mean hardwired? The solenoid shouldn't be causing any issues. Just check your mechanical timing and tell me where the cam lines up with the crank in the proper position. Shouldn't take longer than a few minutes.

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the way it is right now

cam lines are straight across with the head. (TDC)
timing belt off
tensioner pulley loosen
number 4 spark plug removed, looking at top of piston.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would have used the #1 cylinder and make sure it's on the compression stroke. I think it's the same using #4 but I've never done it. Sometimes I use a kabob stick in the cylinder to tell exactly where TDC is.

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is #1 the one closer to cam gear. I Call it #4 because the 4th spark plug wire goes to it. I'm new to this import transmounted engine stuff. I used to be strickly mustangs and v8's. So I'm still learning the D series and honda/acura stuff.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
what cam gear are you using? to set cam timing put #1 cyl at tdc the line on the crank pulley will be lined up with the pointer on the timing cover then take the bolt out of the cam gear and set the cam at tdc with the lines at the head surface (this is if you got a y8 gear) then remove the cam gear with out moving the cam and install a
pm3b cam gear (88-95 cam gear) then put the belt on becareful not the move the crank or the cam and pull the belt on taking the slack out of the front side then set the belt tension. after belt is installed and tensioned install cam gear bolt and set ign timing to 16* btdc

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cam gear

I have an adjustble crowler cam gear. 16* are you sure the cam gear goes 10* advanced or 10* retard. so how would i actually measure that?

·
Registered
Red EG
189 Posts
So I don't know the exact answer to this question, but why not set it at 0* cam adv, and run stock ignition timing, as it's probably the same? I'd double check the mechanical timing and make sure you're not off a tooth or so, and if you aren't, double check the ignition timing. because those symptoms sound ignition related.

Also. hot tip for finding #1 at tdc compression stroke
put your hand over the #1 spark plug tube and rotate the engine till it makes pressure under your hand. then use kebab stick to nail it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have an adjustble crowler cam gear. 16* are you sure the cam gear goes 10* advanced or 10* retard. so how would i actually measure that?
what year is the cam gear for 96-00 or 88-95? and the 16* is for the ignition timing its set buy jumping the service connector under the dash and using a timing light on the balancer and turning the dizzy till the 16* line and the balancer is lined up with the pointer when the light flashes. the mini-me setups are 4.75* off time due to deck height

·
Registered
279 Posts
the easiest way to find #1 at tdc is the marks on the crank pulley line the pointers from the timing belt cover up with the white mark on the crank pulley it's the one by itself not the three together. and if it ran fine before don't mess with the cam gear adj just make sure you have the timing right and did you bleed the coolant system sometimes that can screw things up

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its a cam gear for a 96-00 civic and no i didn't bleed the coolant but i have no idea how that effects any thing. But like i said i would try anything so i will bleed coolant to get air out i persume. then start from tdc again and see what i get.

·
Registered
94 Civic
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
was the timing i had to advance it 2 teeth. I did the coolant thing to make sure, there was a little bit of air in the line but it's good now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts