Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mini-me tuning question!

Hello all...

Got my mini-me done over the last 2 days, and nervously starter her today.... and she works!
:bubbrubb:

Question is... took her out for a spin, and she seems to lack power, as if Im pulling away on 5th gear or something?! What do I need to change?

I wondered if it may be the ignition timing, as Ive had to use the A6 dizzy for now, and just attached it on. Luckily in a good place.... but do I need to advance it maybe?

Cheers guys!
Ben

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Also what type of injectors are you using? since you're using the a6 dizzy i assume that you are obd0. if you are using the vtec injectors of the z6 head i recommend for you to change them to the d16a6 injectors. With the z6 injectors it runs real funny and starts acting up on you like you are talking about right now.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for your reply! No, the A6 injectors. Ive kept everything A6 (Except the head) until Ive got a z6 ecu!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using the A6 ecu.... (As I havent got a z6 one yet)

The VTEC can be run through my Apex'i VAFC.. but I just want her running correctly for now! :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one, cheers mate! I'll have to get myself a timing light tomorrow then... :roll:

Just wanted to check that it was the timing, rather than anything else! Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ben

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
turboprelude95 said:
Also what type of injectors are you using? since you're using the a6 dizzy i assume that you are obd0. if you are using the vtec injectors of the z6 head i recommend for you to change them to the d16a6 injectors. With the z6 injectors it runs real funny and starts acting up on you like you are talking about right now.
who told you that??? im running obd1 jdm d15b vtec injectors on my obd0 d15b2 w/ MPFI...no problems with the injectors whatsoever, instead of running the power through an injector resistor box you just connect all the wires, pretty simple

·
Registered
130 Posts
When i did my b7/z6 i just mesured the differnce the cam was off tdc than with the adj cam gear retarded/adv the timing (depends where your cam sits). Than just use the timming light too get it running right.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
boud92si said:
When i did my b7/z6 i just mesured the differnce the cam was off tdc than with the adj cam gear retarded/adv the timing (depends where your cam sits).
Cheers boud, how would I do this? How can I tell where the cam is/needs to be turned?

Ben

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey when your looking at your cam gear the tdc mark doesn't line up. Measure the distance between the marks (i used the a piece of paper and a marker), then with the adj cam gear, i moved mine clockwise to get it in time(yours might be counter clockwise). As long as your cank is tdc your good.

hope that makes sense

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Ben_K said:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7734

Ok, Ive checked this out, but I have a couple of questions...

What timing would I use for a z6 head on an A6 block??

Does the A6 pulley have those markings on it??

Ben
I'm glad people are using my thread :)

Your a6 pulley should have a TDC mark. You should use the timing for the head you are using. I'm assuming y8 since you're using the a6 distributor. Problem is you should first make sure your cam is at the correct degree setting. It might be off half a tooth or something... i'm not sure. I know that putting the y8 head on a d15b7 block will cause this. Maybe the a6 is the same... (i don't know). So check that out first, if you need it get an adjustable camgear and turn it 4 degrees (is that right? Transzex figured out the correct degree difference... search for his name). Then set your timing with an adjustable timing gun set for the y8 timing.

That will get you as close to a stock setting as possible, then you can fine tune from there.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
makku said:
get an adjustable camgear and turn it 4 degrees (is that right? Transzex figured out the correct degree difference... search for his name.
4.75degs = 1/2 cam tooth

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, tis a good post Makku -

Its a Z6 head.

Basically all I did was when I did the belt: Lined up the crank with the little arrow on the oil pump, fed the belt round, then lined up the cam pulley so the 2 marks were level with the top of the head.

How do I check the camshaft degree setting? How do I know its correct or not?

Ben

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
oh, this makes more sense now...

I'm pretty sure that the distributor you're using is the problem. I know that the d15b7, y7, and y8 distributor mounts are the same... and that the z6 distributor mounting holes are in different positions. I have a feeling the a6 is more like the b7, so you're basically using the wrong distributor. It should be running really retarded right now and that's why your power sucks.

If you HAVE to keep your a6 distributor because of the plug connections for obd0, then just swap the distributor housing with a z6 one. You should be able to verify this with a timing gun, as you won't be able to turn the distributor enough to get it to the correct timing.

I think the camshaft degree setting should be fine in this case... unless your head is milled by a lot.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, Im with you....

Yes, until I can get a Z6 ECU (P29?), Im having to stick to OBD0. I knew I had to bodge the dizzy to fit, and yeah, from seeing another minime on a Rover Coupe like mine, I think it needs to be retarded back a good 20-30 degrees or so!!

BUT, you mention using the Z6 housing? See, I have a Z6 dizzy waiting to be used... can I just swap the insides around??

Cheers!
Ben

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
should be able to... try it and tell us if it works :)

Just don't get any water near it...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ahhhh.... cool! Yeah, I realised Id put P29 after Id posted it... ah well....

Will it also be the P28 in the ESi as well? Thats where my Z6 lump came from??

Ben

1 - 20 of 32 Posts