Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yes, im doing a d17 mini-me swap, IE a2 head onto an a1 block, however, the head that i purchased is .005" out of being "true". Now I realize that a "true" head can be as much as .002" out, and still be true, now, here comes my question, can an interference head be milled .003" and not have any problems with the valves hitting the cylinders? I can get away with the head being .005" out, but when i go to do the N/A build with crower cam, valves, retainers and springs, i dont want to be pushing coolant back into the resevoir either, or leaking coolant. Any serious help will be rewarded with rep! Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
you should just take off a certain amount. I would mill it so you can just retard you cam timing with an adjustable cam gear and enjoy an added increase in compression. YOu can mill a fair amount until your pistons will hit your valves.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
get an adjustable cam gear to tune the cam for a milled head. the .005 the head is out can be milled off and it wont be a problem running the crower stuff. I think the safe limit for head milling is about 40 thousandths before you get contact between the piston and valve

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im curious how much there is to gain out of an adjustable cam gear, can a milled head be run on a stock timing gear, and how much do u think i could mill it on a stock cam gear?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
what internals are you planning on going with??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts