Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is...

I put a 1.6 vtec head (z6) onto my 1.5 bottom end (b7)

i followed the instructions posted on hondatechs huge writeup,

i used a z6 belt (that we think he gave us a z6)
a b7 tensioner,
new b7 water pump

i need new spark plug wires cause my b7 ones dont reach the plugs,

when i cranked it the belt got loose?
tightened the tensioner all the way, then it gets loose again, (tensioner all the way tightened...? yes) wth?

okay then we are using a skunk 2 cam gear 2 deg advanced, and still cant figure it out, it looks on the camgear that it needs to be advanced more, because the rear belt is coming way too fast from the water pump and looks like its going to jump teeth,

so basically on my setup the timing belt is tight on one side and loose on the other and keeps changing when i turn the motor over by hand

anyone have any idea?

thank you so much,

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im told i need a vx belt,

anyone?

thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im going to use a vx now, cause the z6 is like 2 or 3 too big

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Are you sure that the belt you have is a z6? Not from what someone has told you but held it side by side with a new one from a parts store to make sure it has the same teeth number/lenth.

·
Registered
179 Posts
^^^That's a good idea. When I just changed my Tbelt 48hrs ago it didn't seem to want to go on correctly. I still had the box and called Napa to see if I had the right part#. If something,very unlikely, was packaged incorrectly actual comparison will be undisputable.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no its a z6 belt, i checked,
its smaller than a d15b7 but bigger than a vx which is 2 or 3 teeth less.

anyone else know if vx belt will fix the problem

also how do i tighten my belt with the tensioner, my friend did it for me,

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does it get more tense when using the tensioner? I think I've read that some have use the vx belt and it was too tight and had a tendancy to whine. May be perfect for you if the Z6 is truely loose.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
were not sure im told to take the timing cover off to see,
since its really hard to tell with it on,

yeah im not sure what to do at this point, im hoping the tensioner is the problem,

its brand new, but didnt come with the spring,
i used my old spring,

is their a way the spring is used to make the tensioner tight against the belt when i tighten it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did a min-me too and used z6 timing belt, i didn't have any problem. What I can suggest is to take off the timing cover, install everything then have someone crank it while your eyes are on the belt. Tha way you can see whats happening or take a picture of the timing belt area and post it here so that everybody will get an idea whats wrong. Did you count the z6 belt teeth? I think its less then the b7 belt(correct me if im wrong guys).

·
Registered
179 Posts
I never install a Tbelt with the top cover on. Sometimes it needs a slight turn to aid in proper tightening and it's really hard to tell if it's on. I know this last one did.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got 104 t belt, z6,

i dont have the top covers on
dont have either of them,

i have the bottom one on,

we think its the tensioner the spring may not be hooked up or binding on the block?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
did you loosen the tensioner bolt once the belt was installed and the engine had been rotated over like 8 times?? if not that might be why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts