Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there, im working on a mini me build, i have a sensor issue.

have a D15B7 block. the hole car. (was ripped in half recovering from a snowbank.

and a 99 2door EX. blown rod. useing the b7 block, bottom end and water pump. everything else was swaped over from the D16Y8

my problem

on the D16Y8 block , above the oil filter to the left, above the oil pressure sensor is a single wire coolant temp sensor. it treads into the coolant chamber around the calendars . the D15B7 block does not have a place for this.

I need the car to run without the CEL on. needs to be code free, where can i put this , a similar one, or borrow the signal from seme where else.

any ideas?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I believe you are referring to the knock sensor that 99-00 d16y8 motors have.

I believe the d15b7 has a spot directly left of the oil pressure switch that can be drilled bigger and tapped, but not 100% sure.

Are you struggling to find 99-00 d16y8 blocks in your area?

Might be worth a trip to a junkyard and see if they will sell you an engine. Many pick and pulls have good prices

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,046 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Worst comes to worst, to get code free, could buy the OBD2B to OBD2A ecu adapter and run a 96-98 d16y8 ecu, it will not be looking for a knock sensor,and it saves you from swapping engine and dash harnesses, as the secondary O2 is not part of the engine harness in 99-00 cars if I remember correctly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the fast responses.
matt- it look there is a area that looks as it can be taped and drilled. would like to avoid doing that, as the eng is together minus this plug. the owner wont's the b7block with v-tec or a junk yard might be an option, but im in alaska so the cost would be 600plus easy just for a y8 block and then its a crap shoot if it will be worth a crap. the b7 block was well taken care of and the bottom end looks great. ill look threw the post and see if theirs a solution.

hmm, finding a obd2a might be tricky, will also look into this. thanks for the info

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after a quick look threw the post you noted. and a look at the eng. there is a place to put it. with minimal work. there a hole without threads, the knock sensor freely fits in. its lower on the block then the y8 is. almost straight across from oil switch rather then above . will helicoil it in the morning, install the mini me in the the EX and report back here after a test run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts