Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I've got a d15b7bottem end all stock with a z6 head that has been decked with all stock internals. Using the z6 hg and z6cam with the z6im and b7tb. Ive got the p28 wired for vtec and a vafc2 with a mild tune. the car runs decent but I want more. I have been doin lots of research hence the low number of posts. I read in one thread that the op used a y8 hg and removed the middle layer for more cr and used 96-00 sparkplugs and wires to raise the cr. My ? is has anyone else done this and will the y8hg with the middle layer removed hold up? Do the head bolts have to be torqued differently or to spec. I've also got a ram intake, stock b7 headers and a 5zigen exhaust. Will I be better off with a z6 header or aftermarket? Do I really benefit from an adjustable cam gear or should i get an aftermarket cam as well. I don't want to remove my head or mess with the valves if i don't have to. The car runs good just want more. thanks With the current setup I'm running in the high 10's in the 1/4 mile on stock 15s dropped to 8 psi. I'd like to atleast make it in the mid 9s.

·
Registered
civic
2,211 Posts
you want the honest truth? if u want to stay n/a, and use stock parts, find some zc pistons and rods, put them in a z6, get a y8 head with a z6 intake mani, compression should be up there. but you NEED A tune. if i were u, i'd build a single cam, or put a b swap in ur car. or you can do what i did and boost the stock motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Removing the middle layer is gonna seriously give you about 1HP gain. It only bu,ps up compression a few tenths. I would go with the metal gasket though. Its gonna last longer. I would torque about 2 LBS over if you are gonna remove the middle layer.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks what about using 96-00 spark plugs and wires? Is that any count or not?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the reason for using the 96-00 y8 plugs is that there a colder plug and it helps fight detination due to the raised comp but ive also heard that they dont use a colder plug in the y8 but whatever it dont matter you just need one step colder plug instead of a zfr5j you need a zfr6j cause ngk plugs are backwards from others higher # colder plug lower # hotter plug

·
Registered
93 honda del sol
207 Posts
the y8 intake manifold is the best manifold made for the d series.You,ll get some ponies there.Also a bigger throttle body will give you better response and more air + more power, but don,t go to big.you could also get a modified ecu for more power.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i'm currently running the z6 mani noticed a huge difference switching the b7 to the z6 and a p28 ecu but not sure where to get it chipped or even how i should. And I'll pick up a set of cold plugs 2day thanks and rep to u all.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
The car runs good just want more. thanks With the current setup I'm running in the high 10's in the 1/4 mile on stock 15s dropped to 8 psi. I'd like to atleast make it in the mid 9s.
Seriously??
Your running high tens in the 1/4 mile?? More like mid 15's.
I think you want to say 1/8th.

The only way your going to see power is a turbo build or a balls to the wall high comp N/A build. Your choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am currently setting up my mini me build on a sedan....i am using a d15b7 block with ls rods and d16a1 pistons. with a y8 head and intake manifold with stock tb. also plan to use p28 ecu and a vafc..... sound like a decent setup?

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yea sorry it is the 1/8 no 1/4 mile tracks around the area. Sorry about wrong post. I would like to do a na build this time around. I am looking for power as well as reliability. Would like to stick with the mini me setup I've currently got.

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am currently setting up my mini me build on a sedan....i am using a d15b7 block with ls rods and d16a1 pistons. with a y8 head and intake manifold with stock tb. also plan to use p28 ecu and a vafc..... sound like a decent setup?
Ive got a comparable setup with z6head and vafc 2 with p28ecu and it runs pretty good. minus the pistons there stock b7s but yea I'd say decent setup.

·
Registered
eg sedan
156 Posts
just join for this specific thread..... i have a 93 eg sedan.. i was hitting 100+ coming home from a car show and my crank shaft snout took a crap on me....

i had a y8 head laying around and i said hey its mini me time....so im knife edging my crank, lighter under drive pulley, P&P the y8 head, cometic gaskets, msd ignition(cap rotor 10mm wires ngk plugs external coil) p28 ecu vafc II hyper ground kit all new gaskets I/H/E.... fuel pressure regulator adjustable cam gear, only thing left for me to get is an aem fuel rail and a crower cam (and the springs and retainers maybe new valves)

im using this for a daily driver and i cant wait for the engine to get back from the machinist

planning on getting it back today actually and hopefully be fully rebuilt by next friday (im a college student) no clue how fast im supposed to go i just know im going to be going alot faster than i was able to go before lol

108hp stock non v-tec to (results to come) from what i've read up on though and what i've claculated

ima be running a 12.2:1 comp ratio (octane booster and 93octane fuel only for me :) )

im going to set up a race between my buddys n/a B18C5 mugened out thats in a 2 door DA teggy

ill post videos when that happens as well so im hoping that my single cam is going to be a beast

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have u gotten ur vafc2 tuned just wonderin what ur settings were on it. With my mini me the p28 makes the motor run very rich not bad just rich and boggs at WOT till vtec comes in. Looking forward to that video to.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
you want more power? upgrade to an aftermarket header, ditch the hack and get a chipped ecu, and go get a tune

and if you are still using the stock cam gear, get an adjustable or Y series in there ASAP

·
Registered
eg sedan
156 Posts
have u gotten ur vafc2 tuned just wonderin what ur settings were on it. With my mini me the p28 makes the motor run very rich not bad just rich and boggs at WOT till vtec comes in. Looking forward to that video to.
you gotta use your vafc to take out some fuel, its dumping to much in, the only reason im snaggin the vafc 2 is to control the vtec engagement really and to save a few bucks on a tune just for now.

you want more power? upgrade to an aftermarket header, ditch the hack and get a chipped ecu, and go get a tune

and if you are still using the stock cam gear, get an adjustable or Y series in there ASAP
already have the headers the hack is for the v tec engagement and minor fuel tunning if need be and i know where its $50 for 3 pulls on a dyno in my area so im hoping ill be able to work it all out

soon enough soon enough

OH and i didnt delete my ac either so semi fast honda with ac ftmfW!

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gettin header soon, and a chipped p28, then will be usin the vafc2 for monitoring only. I have an a/f gauge so I was kinda just tryin to run stoich across the board. It does gr8 at part throttle till the high cam switch then straight to rich. I've backed it off after vtec engagement to like -5 with no results and also taken it up to like +6 with no results. Could it be because I've got my cor set to -+3% in my etc menu? Should I maybe move it up to 30 or even 50% for more adjustment? and the prs is set to kpa which at part throttle is around -50 to -73 and at WOT is drops to -9 or -10 should this be happening? So an adjustable cam gear would make that big of a difference on a z6 camshaft? Was debating on getting one.

·
Registered
eg sedan
156 Posts
get the adjustable cam gear from like Craigslist or something and try it out see how it works if it dosent thennn take you car to the pros

·
Registered
94 civic dx
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I just got done reading ur entire 52 page build danz, and I must say that is incredible what u have done with ur machine. WOW I wish I had the know how to do something like that. I'd love to have a boosted civic but with 3 kids and being the only income in the household i can't afford to blow up my ride or have spare motors lying around. Maybe one day. But u did one hell of a job sticking with it when things didn't go right and in the end u built an incredible ride to be proud of. props to u man. Really enjoyed reading from start to finish. Oh yea leaned the fuel out at vtec engagement today before going to work and was able to get my kpa at -11 instead of -7 or8 so I'm working on it. Gonna do it another notch in the morning before heading to work till I get it to stay in the -20's atleast that seems to pull pretty hard at part throttle. Oh and did u ever make it over 300whp just curious. id be tickled to death with 294 hell i just want 250 but reliable.

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
projctr,

i have 5 kids, and a wife, i feel your pain, so the build is slow to come, but i have finally put a D16 in my car, two things, chip your ecu and get the tools (eCtune, neptune, crome), and get a wideband O2... ditch the vafc, they are a problem looking for a place to happen... these tools will help alot with tuning your car...

sloopy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts